HELP!!! Transmission Install FJ40/SM420 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems like I’ve been asking for a lot of help lately. Well, I need it and appreciate the support and advice.

I’ve spent the last two days trying to stab my SM420 back into my FJ40 & 3spd BH. I’m doing this WITHOUT the luxury of any straps or support from above. It’s all being done from underneath with the engine lowered as far as it goes (the passenger side hangs up on the starter motor housing, so it doesn’t really drop that much). I added three guide bolts and managed to get the tranny tower in the transmission cover hole, and got the input shaft into the release bearing Collar and into the clutch Cover. It seems to be pretty well centered, and I have two of the guide bolts aligned and in the transmission. The third guide is on the passenger side and is only a 1/4” short vertically. I just need to rotate slightly to get it in place.

The problem is the transmission is still about 2” away from the BH face and I can’t get it to move forward. I’m concerned that the splines aren’t aligned. I can’t turn the rear output shaft and if I turn the flywheel there is no movement on the output shaft.

How do I know if the splines are lined up?? Before I start pushing and trying to rotate to get it to move, is there something I can do to make sure the splines are aligned?

I saw comments about pushing in the clutch. I have the Clutch fork loose and the Slave cylinder disconnected. Should I reconnect so I can release the clutch? Would that help? I just assumed I wouldn’t need to since I didn’t change anything.

Thank you for your comments

You usually need to rotate the shaft a little to get it into the splines no tcase on the back ? Grab the ebrake drum and rotate it wiggle it ,I always find pushing the clutch helps when it won’t go but 2 inches sounds still far away if you didn’t Center the clutch disc to begin with then you will need to push the clutch in to get it to align into the pilot bearing
It won’t go in if your not through the splines ?

I was able to get things lined up and get the Transmission in. AT LEAST within 1/8" or 3/16" but it just would go completely flush. Measuring things, it looked completely square to the BH, so I just bolted it up. It seemed fine.

The problem is, the rear output shaft of the Transmission doesn't turn AT ALL!!! The Clutch is in, and I put shifter back in and the transmission won't shift AL ALL!

WFT?? What could have happened? The output shaft did turn at one point when I was putting it in. Why won't the transmission shift?

Does anyone have any ideas? The Tranny did get dropped several times trying to get it in. It's a hard, hard case so I was expecting any internal damage. None of the shafts were ever involved. What to do at this point?

HELP!!!

I would install the bolts & tighten them if it only had a 1/8" to go. You may have installed the shifter incorrectly. You should be able to look down in the shifter tower and see the slot the shifter drops into. You obviously have it in gear. You can also move the rods around to get them to line up so it's in neutral, then drop the shifter in.

I would install the bolts & tighten them if it only had a 1/8" to go.

That was my feeling. I didn't want to draw it in, but I tried everything to push it in completely flush and I just couldn't get that final 3/16" -1/18"gap to close. I tried using the clutch to free up any binding or constriction, but that didn't resolve it, so I just decided to bolt it in.

You may have installed the shifter incorrectly. You should be able to look down in the shifter tower and see the slot the shifter drops into. You obviously have it in gear. You can also move the rods around to get them to line up so it's in neutral, then drop the shifter in.

I looked at it a second time and reinserted the shifter. It looks right. It just doesn't shift. I can turn the flywheel and the rear output shaft does turn very slightly. At least I know things are jammed. It is stuck in gear. I think I'll try your advice and see if I can manually move it into neutral.

I think your transmission input shaft nose is not fitting into the pilot bearing/bushing properly.

Did you test fit the bearing/bushing on the shaft tip before replacing?

I’m with pjohnson. New pilot bearing? Fully seated in the crank? Test fit prior to install? If you push in clutch and turn flywheel, does the output still turn?

Which pilot bushing did you use? I remember having to pull mine apart and change it, but can't remember which was correct. I'm thinking I had to go Chevy, but not sure. If you didn't test the pilot on the shaft before assembly.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom