HELP! Transmission fill f-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HELP! Transmission fill f-up- Problem Solved Thanks MUD

Hey guys-

OK-This is what taking care of 6-week old twins has done to my brain-

All i wanted to do yesterday was change the engine oil- no big deal- Drained the manual transmission oil instead:bang: wondered why it looked so clean and thick till i realized what i had done.

No biggie- got the new gear oil last night, got up this morning to fill it. dont have a hand pump. I was using some 5/16 fuel hose(new) to make the quart reach the fill hole....already long story short-

I dropped about a 4 inch piece of the hose into the transmission:mad::bang::mad::bang:

so-

Am i going to have to drop the transmission, split the transfercaseoff to get the hose?

Or does anybody have any ideas.

this is my DD. luckily, i dont have to drive the kids around in it, and can hitch a ride to work as long as i need to.

please feel free to flame away at my stupidity

thanks in advance

swamp60

Last edited:
that sucks. drain oil and see if you can reach the hose with long skinny needlenose or forcipes.
with a bent piece of coathanger down through the filler hole try to move the hose around to
grab it. good luck. RAMZ

Go in from the top. Pull the seats, carpet, shift lever, tranny hump, and then you'll have access to the top of the transmission. Doubt you'll be able to see the hose unless you pull the top cover, but with the top cover off you'll have good access to the tranny guts and you can retrieve the hose. And as an added bonus refilling it will be a snap.

Other option is to pull the top cover off the trans to remove the hose. Much easier than pulling trans and tcase!

Remove carpet and floor cover plate over trans. Put the trans in neutral, remove shifter ( use rag on the collar, push down and twist to remove shifter), unbolt cover and lift off.

Be careful not to move gears in the trans or move the parts in the cover while fishing out the hose.

You can also just pour the oil in top of trans while it's open.

This should only take an hour or so to do.

Good luck..on the 60 and getting any sleep the twins! LOL

Doug

I'd drain the fluid and use one of those flexible grabber tools that the claw projects out when you hold the button. You should be able to retrieve it quicker than dropping the tranny and all that.

wtd7873.gif

Thanks Guys-

RAMZ-

My brother was able extract it thru the drain hole with coat hanger wire and some skinny needle nose after about 10mins. WHEW

Good ideas everybody. Thank you so much. Not getting much sleep with the twins seems to have lowered my IQ considerably.

Now gravity filling with a LONG hose and the quart bottle sitting upside down by the brake booster and a hole in the quart.....slow going but its working.

thanks again

swamp 60

Thanks Guys-

RAMZ-

My brother was able extract it thru the drain hole with coat hanger wire and some skinny needle nose after about 10mins. WHEW

Good ideas everybody. Thank you so much. Not getting much sleep with the twins seems to have lowered my IQ considerably.

Now gravity filling with a LONG hose and the quart bottle sitting upside down by the brake booster and a hole in the quart.....slow going but its working.

thanks again

swamp 60

Good work.

Next time on the refill or even this time if taking too long, go to parts store & buy a $10 Sta-Lube hand pump. Fits qt. size bottles & makes life much eaiser. Good to keep in your trail kit also.

John

Wait'll you see what happens when they're 16!

Couple months ago I forgot to put the plug in before pouring the new oil in the engine from a 5-qt bottle! Had a long talk with myself after that. Now I put the drain plug on the valve cover to remind me.

John-

hand pump is definatly on my list. Unfortunatly i had to get the oil late last night at wal mart andthey did not have one. its hard to get out during the morning so i tried w/o. The gravity drain wroked fine-just slow ~2 hours . But i will have a pump next time.

Tinker-
Yeah, i am sure this is going tobe one hell of a ride. Identical boys. Six weeks old and eating up to 40oz a day some days. they are going to be big. They may be the only two i can afford to feed!

Maybe i will mark my drain plugs with a O, T and X just so i dont go f-in it up again. good idea to put plug on valve cover too!

thanks again for all the help guys.

this is a great place

swamp60

These

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom