Help - Transfer Case rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, 2 questions and will take all the help I can get.
1) I just did a rebuild on my t-case and had the dreaded left over part discovered once I put the rear casing on. Can anyone tell me what the ring is in this picture? I think it is a shim but no idea where it would have gone. It is as thick as two dimes and as big around as a baseball. I brought my bearings to a shop and had all the races and bearings pressed. So not sure if it was supposed to get pressed and I So s***.

2) I bought a McNamara gear (one of George’s) and for the first two inches it went on the splines smooth, but it took a hammer and 40 mins to nudge this thing on. Question is, does the McNamara gear sit flush with the idler gear (teeth line flush) or sit slightly forward of the idler gear?
DB02A147-0E8E-4E22-90A3-FBA61EAB3C23.jpeg
0E5A736E-4003-49DC-A500-9973CDFCFC4B.jpeg

appreciate the help.

Maybe a fat shim? does your output flange have slop in it?
No slop when checked. I took the rear case cover off and looked at my gears again. They don’t sit flush. The idler gear sits a little behind my McNamara gear and the rear output shaft gears. Snapped at photo below.

0CCFE4BE-35C9-4C3F-BD3A-879E99C1E410.jpeg

So you bought the gear from Georg and you had problem putting it on and have a
leftover shim. Did you think to ask Georg? I’m betting you’d have an answer faster than
I type this

I'm very surprised about the McNamara gear. Was it the right one? All input gears that I've seen go on like butter.

Your idler shaft seems short, is this a 34mm or 38mm? Where is your thrust washer? Do you have the back one on? is this

Your left over part looks like the rear extension housing shim setting the preload on the rear output bearing. You either didn't install it or have an extra one to dial in the preload.

Are you using the PTO?

This looks like the same shim talked about in this thread. Read post #53- say #63.

So you bought the gear from Georg and you had problem putting it on and have a
leftover shim. Did you think to ask Georg? I’m betting you’d have an answer faster than
I type this

I did not buy the gear from George (however after reading my post it does read that way..should have been more clear). I purchased from another individual on this site who stated in listing it was one of George’s. I was able to get the gear on after some convincing. And yes, I did talk with George today and he was awesome. Helped me with multiple issues. Definitely my go to now for parts and guidance on this rig.

I'm very surprised about the McNamara gear. Was it the right one? All input gears that I've seen go on like butter.

Your idler shaft seems short, is this a 34mm or 38mm? Where is your thrust washer? Do you have the back one on? is this

Your left over part looks like the rear extension housing shim setting the preload on the rear output bearing. You either didn't install it or have an extra one to dial in the preload.

Are you using the PTO?

Texfj,

Appreciate your response! This site is awesome with how people help.
The gear went on. Just took a little convincing. I got it from another member of this site stating it was on of George’s. Another person pointed that out in my original post and I should have clarified. The idler shaft was correct. I am confident to say any issue here is self induced. I’m a novice at working in cars. Learning as I go here.

I did put the thrust washers on. My dumbass missed the very first step..the extra part was the shim that goes on after the bearing and before the t-case front housing. Needless to say tore it all apart, put on the shim and just need to put on the drive shafts. However, after checking the space between the Idler gear and thrust washer are just a little less than the FSM suggest spec..so I’ll probably rip apart and do over. Thanks again for the help. Trying to learn!

The gear should slip right on, that is odd.

The other thing is a shim, it goes behind the bearing at the rear end of the main shaft, right in front of the speedo gear. You use that shim to set the preload on the bearings after putting the case back together.

TcaseCrop.jpg

@cpelarski We love pictures, let's put some pics up of your rebuild. It'll help people for years to come.

The other thing is a shim, it goes behind the bearing at the rear end of the main shaft, right in front of the speedo gear. You use that shim to set the preload on the bearings after putting the case back together.

View attachment 2290290

View attachment 2290290
KLF,

Thanks for the help. I am a novice at all this. I did have that shim on..what I didn’t do..and a couple people (George being one) mentioned the shim between the t.case and the bearing on the output shaft. So I took it all apart and low and behold...I didn’t put the shim between the front casing of the t-case and the bearing on the output shaft.Now I just have to figure out what I messed up after putting back together again because the spacing between idler gear and Thrust washer is slightly under the recommended spacing. Live and learn. Thanks again for the help. Always looking to learn.

This looks like the same shim talked about in this thread. Read post #53- say #63.

Saucerman,

What you told me to red is exactly where I messed up. I didn’t put the shim between the bearing and front of t-case. Thanks for the help. First time doing anything like this. No just to find out what i did wrong to get an out of spec spacing between the idler gear and thrust washer. Just a little too tight. Not much.

KLF,

Thanks for the help. I am a novice at all this. I did have that shim on..what I didn’t do..and a couple people (George being one) mentioned the shim between the t.case and the bearing on the output shaft. So I took it all apart and low and behold...I didn’t put the shim between the front casing of the t-case and the bearing on the output shaft.Now I just have to figure out what I messed up after putting back together again because the spacing between idler gear and Thrust washer is slightly under the recommended spacing. Live and learn. Thanks again for the help. Always looking to learn.
this guy, I presume it didn't come with the rebuild kit but you took it off on disassembly.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.56.48 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom