Help to ID FJ40 V8 Headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevos37

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Came across this set of headers from an fj40 . They look to be stainless steel, or some alloy. Just curious who made them.

Cheers
Kevo
15810455389072907168837254647841.jpg
15810456102335120301591227276225.jpg

Does a magnet stick to them? Back in the 80's I bought a pr from Downey, they were chrome and didn't hardly rust even after 20yrs of wheeling.

Both @Downey and AA offer headers like that. Source of all the fenders you see with the skirts cut out.

Neither of us two companies made them out of SS, they where merely chrome plated.

Does a magnet stick to them? Back in the 80's I bought a pr from Downey, they were chrome and didn't hardly rust even after 20yrs of wheeling.
I cleaned an area up with a scotch brite pad, it appears to be SS not chrome plated. I did take a magnet to them, and it did stick. But than again not all Stainless steel is non-magnetic.

Thanks for your input guys!

I think I recall headman offered these too, in Chrome and in plain steel painted blk. Don't you have to nickle plate b4 chromeing ? In the end mine were a dull silver like in your pic. I think magnetic ss is 400 series which is harder, has more metal content and will eventually rust.

In the old days you did copper, then nickel, then chrome (sometimes called triple plating). Then platers just went to nickel and chrome. The longer the parts stay in the nickel tank the thicker the plating gets. Applying chrome is just a quick dip into the tank, then drip dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom