Help time for a new brake master for me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
Hey all looking for correct info on brake master for my Fj40 with 4 wheel disc brakes
I have been using the stock 1978 fj40 master for years it finally blew. Looking for info on what years
Fj80 fzj80. With abs without abs. All the info as been all over the place. Can’t make sense of it all.
I’ll be ordering locally Canada from my buddy’s brake and muffler shop. Just need to know what years. 92-94. 93+. With abs or without. I read it doesn’t really matter. The regular one or the one inch bore. Also read of abs front port is for the rear brakes and rear port is for the front brakes
If non abs. Then front goes to front rear goes to rear. So many different answers in the search.
I like the looks of the master with the fluid container that has plug in the side better that the one that has 5e wires going to the fluid chamber cap. Lots of info out.
Would love to hear and see pics of what master you all have used on your 4 wheel disc conversion.

Thanks. Will be buying local in Canada through my buddy’s brake and muffler shop,,
Cheers all.
Would appreciate all and any input.

Non-ABS 80 series (don't know what year) in a '74 FJ55. Cap is from the original reservoir.

20220728_200134.jpg

Ok love the pic.that helps I think have found some info on years for non-ABS.
I like the cap swap. ,,side ports also nice cheers.

@cruiseroutfit / Cruiser Teq Outfitters out in salt lake city UTAH specialize in this topic

i would ask for chris

i just purchased this LINK from them for my 10/88 FJ62LG-KK and its worked well on a 1/79 FJ55LG-KA also

not sure about 4wheel disc brakes ?

but they will know !

Untitled9 (1).png

@cruiseroutfit / Cruiser Teq Outfitters out in salt lake city UTAH specialize in this topic

i would ask for chris

i just purchased this LINK from them for my 10/88 FJ62LG-KK and its worked well on a 1/79 FJ55LG-KA also

not sure about 4wheel disc brakes ?

but they will know !

Thanks but this is just the typical generic info floating around the internet. This is for front disc rear drum. Not 4 wheel disc brakes and pretty sure if pic is correct it is for ABS also. But works as normal if it isn’t plugged into anything. CHeers. I was looking for more direct info. Sure I could phone but was hoping for some solid info in this thread as I said above the info is so generic or scattered here on mud. ,, I could just head to local Toyota dealer and get another 1978 master also haha. I usually order stuff from George at valley hybrids. Isn’t this Kurt’s store in your post . Just checking. Hehe.

Thanks but this is just the typical generic info floating around the internet. This is for front disc rear drum. Not 4 wheel disc brakes and pretty sure if pic is correct it is for ABS also. But works as normal if it isn’t plugged into anything. CHeers. I was looking for more direct info. Sure I could phone but was hoping for some solid info in this thread as I said above the info is so generic or scattered here on mud. ,, I could just head to local Toyota dealer and get another 1978 master also haha. I usually order stuff from George at valley hybrids. Isn’t this Kurt’s store in your post . Just checking. Hehe.

this is the unit i just purchased :

yes , kurt is in my post , @cruiseroutfit and me are both for the greater good of the Vintage Toyota Land Cruiser Community :)

Valley Hybrids @orangefj45 is a SOLID operation as well too , all good folks ......... :cool:

- i do NOT offer any brakes related parts , he does and that's where i personally shop for my personal toyota family fleet for brakes parts .

- here is the : BKN60570N from them , 100% made in JAPAN , comes as u see it with a cap too ..

Take note both inputs for the lines

My 10/88 fj62 will be a mod free install / other then bleeding my brakes and adjusting the booster pin depth with this SST

It’s the best dam upgrade and up date single step parts install

I just got tue FJ62 new to me last 2 weeks and This was the first part I ordered for it

846D1A2E-F769-4E3B-A87B-A76BD832B5C2.jpeg
AED754A3-834F-4C37-8E03-CA0E2E3F27E1.jpeg
7EF00B91-EBAE-41A3-8896-9ED3289C9A25.jpeg

23498428-8C18-42FA-B237-63AEBF57C67B.jpeg

Last edited:
They sell a plastic version of this on Amazon I highly suggest you grab one it makes a huge difference if your not in specs…

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cool thanks for the info. That sounds like a brake master for rear drums. I thought the reason for swapping to a a 80 series master was to use one setup for 4 wheel disc brakes I’m more interested in the rear disc
Brake master info. As there is a difference in the residual pressure between disc and drums. What I’m interested in know info about is the residual pressure in the master drums require more residual pressure to hold the shoes close to the drums. If I use a master with drum brake setup then I most likely will be pulling out a residual valve which I don’t want to do. There for my question. Just looking for info on a master with rear disk brake compatibility.
I guess I’ll dig into the EPC and hunt out the years the 80 Series came with rear discs.

This is some info that will help , city racer even lists the own part number and recommends it for Landcruisers with rear disc conversion. I’ll be plugging this number into the EPC when I get home later today and pull up the full list of all years and vehicles that this master is used on.

You want the Non-ABS master for an FZJ80, that one is for ABS.

You want the Non-ABS master for an FZJ80, that one is for ABS.
Ya I see that , that’s why I get confused reading all the threads. Did the non-ABS master also come with rear disc brakes.
City racer ad says will work with rear disc.
What’s the difference between a ABS master and non-ABS master. There is nothing on a 40 series to activate any ABS there is no EBCM. To perform this function

This is some info that will help , city racer even lists the own part number and recommends it for Landcruisers with rear disc conversion. I’ll be plugging this number into the EPC when I get home later today and pull up the full list of all years and vehicles that this master is used on.

who is the biggest vintage Toyota Land Cruiser parts Vendor in Canada ?

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the info. That sounds like a brake master for rear drums. I thought the reason for swapping to a a 80 series master was to use one setup for 4 wheel disc brakes I’m more interested in the rear disc
Brake master info. As there is a difference in the residual pressure between disc and drums. What I’m interested in know info about is the residual pressure in the master drums require more residual pressure to hold the shoes close to the drums. If I use a master with drum brake setup then I most likely will be pulling out a residual valve which I don’t want to do. There for my question. Just looking for info on a master with rear disk brake compatibility.
I guess I’ll dig into the EPC and hunt out the years the 80 Series came with rear discs.

This has some of the info you're looking for:

Fwiw, most 80 cylinders make great swap candidates and have similar proportioning. It comes down to line output. We stock 9-10 different 8x cylinders, most common for older Cruisers are the BKN60570N and BKN60551N

im puzzled ?

how come your not consulting with a EXPERT and or the brake master cylinder you need VENDOR's directly to correctly identify what you need ?

instead , asking folks who can only speak from there own personal experience on a not exactly what set up you need except @Green Bean , mr. mark here

1 simple phone call to @RLMS or @cruiseroutfit / CruiserTeq parts , you can have exactly what you need in the mail today ..........

am i missing something here ?
No reason just looking for others input I wasn’t gonna call any of them to pick their brains yet. Especially when I wasn’t going to order from them. And ship it to Canada. Just trying to learn from others experiences
Also wanted to learn what the differences actually are between all the 80 series masters. I am seeking knowledge more than phoning and ordering. Not a big deal it’s a forum. Was hoping to have a knowledge based real world info with others sharing Pictures and such of there masters and boosters I guess. Was more interested in learning something than ordering something. If any of that makes sense. Not trying to offend others either I was just interested in what really was used. That’s how I learned all the things I’ve leaned about cruiser. By asking and listening to others stories. Cheers.

When ya run a chevota for from stock Landcruiser I like to know how to find. Parr’s locally at my local parr’s suppliers.
So I need general knowledge. Of what works and what doesn’t. You know what the parr’s guy looks at me like when I tell. I’m I need some parts and ask for what and you say a Toyota Landcruiser with a Chevy v8 under the hood they can’t help me because the computer doesn’t have the answers the old school parr’s guys are far and few between. I just was asking for general info that’s it and real world experience. Maybe I’m over thinking it. I just didn’t find a decent thread on this topic so hoped to start a new one.

This has some of the info you're looking for:

Fwiw, most 80 cylinders make great swap candidates and have similar proportioning. It comes down to line output. We stock 9-10 different 8x cylinders, most common for older Cruisers are the BKN60570N and BKN60551N
Yes thank you that Thread was what. I was after just general info. And yes there is a few options for sure thanks for chiming in I wasn’t gonna bug ya with me not Committing to purchase anything from you any time soon. Thanks cheers.

Yes thank you that Thread was what. I was after just general info. And yes there is a few options for sure thanks for chiming in I wasn’t gonna bug ya with me not Committing to purchase anything from you any time soon. Thanks cheers.

do you have a BJ or a FJ 40 series ?

i like CANADA Spec. TOYOTA Trucks alot ...

1557320401346 - Copy - Copy.png

do you have a BJ or a FJ 40 series ?

i like CANADA Spec. TOYOTA Trucks alot ...

Nice patch I like it.
Funny you might ask. Mine is registered as a 1978 BJ40 I pickled it up as a rolling cruiser minus the B engine. It had all the 24volt electrics. But it must be more than 20 years ago when I got it and the Diesel engines were not that exciting yet , like they are today so I converted it back to 12 volt and dropped the V8 into it that I had sitting on the shop floor. If I only new back then what I new today I would of grabbed a bunch of those Diesel engines and cruisers also the later year 75-78 Fj45’s we had cruising around here also.
Cheers.

I’m just pounding over the EPC at the moment US market) there really isn’t that many options for the FJ80 or FZJ80 when it comes to masters. Also noticed a cross over year where it may or may not have had ABS. ,, I’m still looking at things. Lots to focus on when crossing years and parts numbers. Also I can see the Lexus only has one option for the master.

Steve at EBI cruisers would be my first go to if I needed assistance.

1991 JDM 81 was what I happened to find.
image-2045709550.jpg
image-3520110291.jpg
image-3811129234.jpg

80 series booster and master... works great with four-wheel disc brakes. Almost too well by some standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom