Help time for a new brake master for me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steve at EBI cruisers would be my first go to if I needed assistance.

1991 JDM 81 was what I happened to find.
View attachment 3072839View attachment 3072840View attachment 3072838

80 series booster and master... works great with four-wheel disc brakes. Almost too well by some standards.
Nice thanks Smuf. Oh ya for sure I could call steve and a few others but was actually really interested in others input and pics ext and what the differences between all the 80 series master actually was. But after looking over things especially pulling part numbers from the EPC there is really like only 5 options and a couple you can weed away as drum masters. I like pics that’s what I really was after I guess. Maybe my post didn’t have a good topic or clear topic heading. Haha. Cruisers days coming up you ever gonna make it over to the mainland one day.? Cheers.

Anybody have any experience or info between the differences of the
aluminum master VS the cast steal one like in Pigheads post above.

Unless I'm mistaken all FJ80 masters are going to be aluminum. If you're trying to maintain the original look of your 40 than you can pick up a iron/cast steel master and remove the drum residual valves so it works better with 4 wheel disc.

Nice thanks Smuf. Oh ya for sure I could call steve and a few others but was actually really interested in others input and pics ext and what the differences between all the 80 series master actually was. But after looking over things especially pulling part numbers from the EPC there is really like only 5 options and a couple you can weed away as drum masters. I like pics that’s what I really was after I guess. Maybe my post didn’t have a good topic or clear topic heading. Haha. Cruisers days coming up you ever gonna make it over to the mainland one day.? Cheers.
Well I hate posting pics, so don’t look in any of my threads… ;)

I do make it over now and then to visit our son. Between the family and our business it always seems like trips over are rushed and busy. It has been too long since we last went over for a week or so with no real plans and just hung out.

I’ll have to come over to cruiser days one year. This year isn’t looking so good. I’m currently fighting with some bad gas in the 40 tanks. Just when I thought I was in the clear, it sucked up some more. Right now it won’t idle right. I’m hoping to avoid draining the tanks and pulling the carb but it’s looking like I may need to.

I’ve got a good fuel filter which would help once it’s installed. I should plumb it in and pull the carb… probably would save some headache. I just need to plan out where best to mount it and if I should tap any extra holes in the mount for the future EFI conversion. I’m planning for it to double as a sump for the higher pressure TPI pump.

Anyway, I shouldn’t hijack your thread… I’ve been really happy with the 80 booster & master combo. It hasn’t given me any trouble since I installed it. The brakes now work better than they ever worked before. Not quite to the point where I’d have to caution other drivers… not that I usually let anyone else drive it. :D

FWIW, the BMT-051 is the same 1" MC, but the connector for the low-fluid sensor is in the cap, not the side of the reservoir so it's easier to just splice into your existing wiring.

1659220667627.png

How does the pedal feel with the 1 inch bore master. Any different to the stock 78 master. ? Stiffer ,lighter
It would be nice to find a smaller piston caliper for the rear one day if ever
These GM calipers were never meant to be used on rear brakes.

How does the pedal feel with the 1 inch bore master. Any different to the stock 78 master. ? Stiffer ,lighter
It would be nice to find a smaller piston caliper for the rear one day if ever
These GM calipers were never meant to be used on rear brakes.
Not sure if you're talking to me but my pedal has a bit of softness to it. Now that you mention it, I don't love the "feel" side of the equation. But the brakes work about 100x better!

Thanks all I got it all sorted and fixed up walked down the street to my local parts house and grabbed a brake master for
A 05/1994 to 01/1995 FZJ80 non-abs $72 bucks Canadian, no fancy ones all they had was a
Raybestos Element 3 , cheap so I grabbed it, so far so good pedal feels a lot stiffer.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom