HELP! Terrible Idle After HG Job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, everyone. After putting everything back together from the head gasket job on my 1994 LC it's idling terrible, 300 or less rpms then will shut off. Every indicator light from A/T, low oil, and brake is lit up. Will a bad TPS or IAC cause this bad idling. Going back in to check the distributor and valve timing today. Thanks in advance.

Your '94 has a 1FZ-FE, right?

Same thing happened to me after I replaced the HG on a friend's subaru. Turned out that the knock sensor went out when the HG failed and was causing this problem. Have you checked that?

Double check the alternator connections, and the battery connections. It's normal to have low idle as the ECU rebuilds the idle but the dash lights sound like the two things I mentioned. Did you put a crack in the bottom of the rubber intake tube (pleated section will crack with rough handling) taking it off with the air cleaner lid (a no-no)? That's idle related but I'd focus on the lights. Ground on the upper front engine lift eye? Other ground on the front of the intake manifold?

There's also the starter - sound normal when you start it up and have plenty of battery power?

Did you check the timing? Just a thought.

Double check the alternator connections, and the battery connections. It's normal to have low idle as the ECU rebuilds the idle but the dash lights sound like the two things I mentioned. Did you put a crack in the bottom of the rubber intake tube (pleated section will crack with rough handling) taking it off with the air cleaner lid (a no-no)? That's idle related but I'd focus on the lights. Ground on the upper front engine lift eye? Other ground on the front of the intake manifold?

There's also the starter - sound normal when you start it up and have plenty of battery power?

Thanks for the replys guys, i haven't had time to work on the car the car. The alternator was caked in PS fluid and oil so i sprayed it down with degreaser and pressure wash it when doing the head gasket, probably damaging it in the process. order a remanufactured denso.
About the idling. It will idle really low and no matter how much you push the acclerator the rpm will only climb to 1500 rpm and stop. it will shut off after you let go of the gas. no power.

Just got everything together, put in the rebuilt Denso alternator, all dash lights are gone. It idles better now at 400- 500 rpm but wont rev past 1000 rpm what could be causing this?

Have you double checked your distributor timing marks? If it's off by one tooth it will you can have these symptoms. Ask me how I now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom