Help - Stuck in Grants Pass, OR with broken FJZ80 (Head Gasket?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving my newly purchased Land Cruiser, but started to run hot. I pulled over, but noticed coolant leaking from the overflow tank. It was bubbling and spilling out. Waited 60+ minutes and put in a gallon of new coolant. Within minutes the temp was too hot again and the motor was running lumpy. Feels like a head gasket, which is a rough way to get introduced to your new Rig.

Any suggestions for shops in the area of Grants Pass, Oregon?

Is the fan clutch working?
And are you running the heater at full with A/C off?

I ran mine with a BH from New Mexico back to AZ with out the radiator cap on. It let the air bubbles out without pushing fluid as bad.
Get into a walmart and get some block seal. That should help. But if it gets past 3/4 you could be causing more then just a HG issue when you get home.

Driving my newly purchased Land Cruiser, but started to run hot. I pulled over, but noticed coolant leaking from the overflow tank. It was bubbling and spilling out. Waited 60+ minutes and put in a gallon of new coolant. Within minutes the temp was too hot again and the motor was running lumpy. Feels like a head gasket, which is a rough way to get introduced to your new Rig.

Any suggestions for shops in the area of Grants Pass, Oregon?
this is about exactly what went down when mine blew too... day before i had bubbling and spilling of overflow, next day it started running rough, day later it got too hot for comfort and i pulled it over and checked the oil cap to find milkshake
thankfully nothing serious and an HG and resurfaced head later and i've been purring like a kitten for 6 months now...

i did replace the fan clutch though, as i noticed it running kind of hot after getting the HG fixed, should have kept a better eye before i guess

Thanks @CarbonCorsa and @Pin_Head for the suggestions. I've did run with the AC off and heat going but it was too late, it wouldn't cool and had to stop.

I will try with the cap removed and try the head gasket repair products. Any good cruiser shops in the area?

Thanks again!

@retrofive and @Fly Rod might have some insight, as I think they are both down in Southern Oregon. Good luck.

this is about exactly what went down when mine blew too... day before i had bubbling and spilling of overflow, next day it started running rough, day later it got too hot for comfort and i pulled it over and checked the oil cap to find milkshake
thankfully nothing serious and an HG and resurfaced head later and i've been purring like a kitten for 6 months now...

i did replace the fan clutch though, as i noticed it running kind of hot after getting the HG fixed, should have kept a better eye before i guess

Oh man, exactly my situation. Not a great way to start off my relationship with the Cruiser.

Where are you headed? I do have a spare 1fz-fe in my garage. Was running when pulled from my friends 80. The HG has NOT been done on it however. It came out of a '93. We could possible work something out if in a real jam.

Oh man, exactly my situation. Not a great way to start off my relationship with the Cruiser.
i had mine 3 months before it blew, so i feel your pain, needless to say it sat for a few months before i decided what i wanted to do

Where are you headed? I do have a spare 1fz-fe in my garage. Was running when pulled from my friends 80. The HG has NOT been done on it however. It came out of a '93. We could possible work something out if in a real jam.

Well, I was about to head down US-199 but now not sure of the plan. Pulled the family card and getting picked up with a trailer. Maybe I should just do the LS swap now?!?!?!

Well, I was about to head down US-199 but now not sure of the plan. Pulled the family card and getting picked up with a trailer. Maybe I should just do the LS swap now?!?!?!

Sure if you have nearly unlimited funds and time.

Did you try Bar's HG leak fix? It will get you out of your situation and buy you time. Unless the HG is has a gapping hole in it.

Did you try Bar's HG leak fix? It will get you out of your situation and buy you time. Unless the HG is has a gapping hole in it.

Yes, I tried that at 7:30 am this morning when the auto parts store opened. I filled the radiator with anti-freeze as suggested, but when I ran with the cap off the bubbles were so strong that coolant was flying out of the radiator. Since the coolant is flowing out with pressure, I can't even put in the HG leak fix. I'm thinking the water pump is broken, but just guessing.

Yes, I tried that at 7:30 am this morning when the auto parts store opened. I filled the radiator with anti-freeze as suggested, but when I ran with the cap off the bubbles were so strong that coolant was flying out of the radiator. Since the coolant is flowing out with pressure, I can't even put in the HG leak fix. I'm thinking the water pump is broken, but just guessing.

Not likely that your water pump is broken. Why are you thinking that? The bubbles from the radiator are from exhaust gas getting into the coolant passages.

Which Bar's HG fix product? There are several. I would like to carry one just in case...thanks!

Which Bar's HG fix product? There are several. I would like to carry one just in case...thanks!

Get the one with carbon fiber, suppose to be the latest and greatest, should retail around 40 dollars.

Try let some coolant escape then add bar's. you need the cap on when idling for the bars stuff to work.

Try let some coolant escape then add bar's. you need the cap on when idling for the bars stuff to work.
If the pressure is strong enough to forcefully blast coolant out of the radiator when idling, I don't recommend putting the cap on. That's how I wound up with blown radiator seals in addition to a failed HG.

Thanks of the suggestion. We found the root problem, the thermostat was stuck closed:( The worst part is the radiator and all the hoses were replaced recently, but not the $12 thermostat which blew the Head Gasket. Brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom