HELP!!! Stranded, won't start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i had this problem about 10-14 days ago when the temps dipped below freezing for the first time this season. The truck turns over and i can smell fuel getting to the carb but she just won't fire. When it happened last week i cranked on it till i could smell the starter getting hot so i know it's not the battery. Went out the next morning, pulled the choke and pumped the gas 2-3 times and she fired up first turn. Well, it's cold again today and i'm getting the same result. Now i'm stranded at home w/ a 2 1/2 year old who i promised to take to chik-fil-a for chicken nuggets. Not to mention i still have xmas shopping to do. Lucky for me the girl is handling not getting chicken nuggets better then i'm handling the cold start issue. I think i bent my front bumper kicking the :censor: out of it. Any help diagnosing would be appreciated.

Some more information would help. Are you running a stock carb? How many miles on the rig? Are you testing for spark? You might want to try doing a compression test with the thing stone cold since that's when you seem to have a problem.

Howdy! Sounds to me like the choke is not going on 100% when you pull it out. Pull off the air cleaner, hold gas pedal down when pulling choke out. Look to see if it is closing off the top of the carb completely. If not, open the throttle a bit by hand, then push the choke plate closed with a finger, release throttle, hit the key. Do not hit the gas again, as that may allow the choke to open back up. Just a thought. John

stock carb, 136K on the engine. been my DD for close to 2 years and never had this problem before. i assume it's a spark problem but don't understand why it's only a problem below freezing. how would i check for spark? i'm no mechanic by anyone's definition but can follow direction and don't mind diving in and learning. i just don't know enough about this to diagnose the problem.

i'll check the choke but it's always seemed to work well. when i pull it and start the truck the rpm's run up to about 2500 (just a rough estimate, never paid specific attn). on a side not, i've noticed the 2 guys offering advice both run SBC's. does that say something about your previous experience with the 2F? i know they're solid engines but don't know much about this one's history prior to buying it. it was sitting for several years b/c the owner died and his widow didn't do anything with it. i'm the third owner but the second had it for less than 2 yrs and only put a few thousand miles on it. thanks again for the help.

Howdy! I have been messing around with carbs for over 50 years, so I do have a ruff idea of how they work. Choke principle is pretty much the same for all. The colder it is, the more closed the choke wing must be for a good start. I lived in Wyoming for about 10 years, and had to keep my chokes working good to start in the sub zero weather. You can check for spark very easily. Pull the spark plug boot off of number one plug and position it close to the plug or just a bolt on the engine. Turn over engine and watch/listen for the spark to jump the air gap. It is easier if you have a helper to turn the key so you can stay under the hood. You may have to move the plug boot to get it close enough to allow for the spark to jump to ground. If you have some handy, try some Hot Shot (ether) spray down the carb. It is much more volatile than gas, and if there is a spark, it will ignite. John

inkpot, thanks. searched the garage for some starter fluid but i'm all out and my only other transportation is the 2 wheeled variety. it's about 28 degrees here and i'd be willing to make the short drive to autozone but don't think my wife would keep me around long if i did it with our daughter on back. anyways, i'm waiting on her to get home so i can take her car. also called o'smilley auto parts and they've got a dipstick style engine block heater for under $20. think i'm gonna pick one of those up as well since i only have problems when it drops below freezing. good news is the forcast shows tomorrow's high to be 60 so i should be able to get her started again.

a quick "feel" test is that when i pull the choke all the way out i can feel the gas pedal drop under my foot a bit. It doesn't do that unless it's all the way out, so that may be a quick way to see if your choke is opening all the way up.

Then you can look at hte butterfly etc like mentioned above, but may help.

Also - in a pinch brake cleaner works well as starter fluid... in case you have that but no starter fluid. and i usually leave #1 in and just grab an extra plug to test - i'm lazy and there's almost always one handy - old dirty, or new (still need a hand to turn it over and see spark).

good luck!!!

rob

just got back from auto parts store. bought starter fluid and the dipstick heater. it's a helluva lot longer than the short dipstick in the 2F and comes too close to the plug wires to leave on over night. i'll probly just go out in the morning and find a way to insulate it before plugging it in. i read in some other threads with similar probs (VTcruiser i think) that they were also using the lucas oil additive as i am. seems reasonable that it could add to the prob by becoming too viscous at low temps. guess i'll find out tomorrow how it all works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom