Help Stop Mice!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Recently pulled apart the whole front of my friend's fj60 practically to remove a mice nest from the heater box. The mice had somehow gotten into the car and used the insulation from behind the carpet to make a nice nest in the heater box that prevented the flapper valve from moving. They even stored about 6 acorns in there too haha.
Long story short, I am looking for what others have done to prevent mice from getting into their 60s, if anything. Where do you think they get in?

Thanks,
Chris

The small ones get in through the back vents, I have found. Didn't believe it, but in and out they went.

It's been a really bad year for mice up here. They got the pickup, too.

t

An adult mouse can get through any hole where they can jamb their skull through which is about 3/8". And if there isn't a hole large enough they'll chew one. Can't recall the name off hand but the farm store has these green poison blocks that work like no one's business. Toxic to animals and people but they come with a little plastic house that only mice can fit into.

If I notice mouse activity I throw a few of these around and problem solved. Dead mice the next day and I even found a dead rat right outside the garage door. Didn't even know I had rats around.

I put our cat in the car at night and wait until she shìts in the car: no more mice :grinpimp:

The smell of moth balls and Irish Spring soap is known to keep mice away. Putting these in the engine compartment while the vehicle is not in use will help. Just remember to take them out before driving.

We cut up bars of Irish Spring into 1/2 or 1/4 sized chunks and stash them throughout the various trucks, tractors and other assorted equipment at the ranch for keeping mice out over the winter. Might still get a few but for the most part does a decent job and is pretty cheap and isn't going to poison other animals.

Check the grommets where the rear light wiring harness' enter the body...both of my grommets were popped out, made a nice little pathway for them, little bastards. I popped them back in, no more mice...for me anyway.

Nothin' works better than a female cat. I let feral ones hang out behind a shed and find rat heads/tails/feet all the time.

If your situation is such that you can have outside cats, Craigslist is always chock full of free ones. Get the nasty tomcats nobody wants or some barn cats from a a farmer.

I tried "Fresh Cab" rodent repellent packets once. They look like big tea bags filled with floral matter. I'm not sure what's in them, but the mice chewed open the packets, presumably to eat the stuff inside. Some repellent. Plus they stink up a vehicle; a lingering 8 month smell that comes back every time you have the windows up for a few days..) So much for that idea.

I had to park my pickup for close to a year recently (on a farm in Missouri, with mice everywhere, the same spot the fresh cab packets failed). I tried using peppermint oil I bought from Amazon as I had read that it works. I squirted it under the hood, under the seat, and put it on sponges and put them up under the dash. I had no mouse smell or evidence of occupancy and no damage in the truck when I came back to collect it. Aside from physical damage they do I can't stand the smell of rodents, and it gets my allergies bad.

Hey, outside pussy never hurt anyone ...

o_Oo_O
:grinpimp:

Hey everyone thanks for the replies! Love the cat inside the car suggestions haha. There are some outside cats and there seem to be less mice here now so that's good. I was thinking they might be getting inside from the front fender drain areas. If so I think putting a small bit of metal screen wherever they get in might be a good idea. Anyhow, I need to do some more investigating.

Fxxxing mice, they are in my daily driver even. I heard them in the headliner once. And the cruiser was parked outside this winter for a month, while I worked on my pickup, and they ate through the carpet under the passenger side seat. If I park the truck outside at night, I'll find acorns eaten on the rear bench. It's like they just like to hang in the truck...tiny fxxxs..

get a Victor mouse zapper

Pack rats and mice down here in SW New Mexico. I have tried mothballs,rat bait,traps,peanut butter. I believe they thrive on the rat bait but an old fashioned Victor rat trap with nut butter seems to be the best for me. The buggers can breach almost any obstacle to get in under your rig, if you can see light through a crack they see a welcome mat.

Pack rats and mice down here in SW New Mexico. I have tried mothballs,rat bait,traps,peanut butter. I believe they thrive on the rat bait but an old fashioned Victor rat trap with nut butter seems to be the best for me. The buggers can breach almost any obstacle to get in under your rig, if you can see light through a crack they see a welcome mat.
Up here in north central New Mexico I have problems with pack rats - I went down to Ace Hardware in Santa Fe and bought a Rid-a-Rat flashing light kind of thing, two leads with alligator clips for connecting to the battery terminals. A couple of weeks later I noticed a darn pack rat had chewed the alligator clip off one of the leads.

Up here in north central New Mexico I have problems with pack rats - I went down to Ace Hardware in Santa Fe and bought a Rid-a-Rat flashing light kind of thing, two leads with alligator clips for connecting to the battery terminals. A couple of weeks later I noticed a darn pack rat had chewed the alligator clip off one of the leads.

Hey 4 Cruisers I tried the same light and the little munchers were sunbathing under it,eating peanut butter off the trap!

We cut up bars of Irish Spring into 1/2 or 1/4 sized chunks and stash them throughout the various trucks, tractors and other assorted equipment at the ranch for keeping mice out over the winter. Might still get a few but for the most part does a decent job and is pretty cheap and isn't going to poison other animals.
Irish Spring Soap? Guess I better switch===

Lol....had mice eat the alligator clips off my battery tender.

On my 100 series a few years ago, drove 6 min from my house to my office, noticed smoke coming from engine as I pulled in. Jumped out and opened the hood, 3-4 smoking mice ran out......it was pretty funny as my dad was walking out as it happened.

Year or so later when replacing the starter we found a blue cloth shop rag wraped around all kinds of stuff under the manifolds, no harm done....just liked a warm spot to sleep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom