**help** steering stud snapped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hope all is well! I snapped a steering stud while doing the front end! Any tips on extracting? Anything helps!

6EB8CCF4-5104-4AA1-B962-A6FA45FD9276.jpeg

Dang!

I think it's too recessed to weld anything to it; it might be drilled with a smaller diameter, then drilled again progressively larger until you approach the factory diameter. When the 'core' is drilled out, the threads should lose their bite. Because this is on a precision/milled surface, I would consider taking to a machine shop (I've drilled off-center and marred the threads before).

Plenty of Parts Blaster, let it sit and then a screw extractor. Still requires drilling but not that big.

These Speedout screw extractors are very good at this type of thing. I use them all the time. I removed some studs just like this from a high steer knuckle that broke off of a friend’s Dana 60. We had to leave it on the trail overnight. He looked at those and told me it would work because they were too small. I zipped those bolts right out. Lol.
They have them at Lowe’s and Home Depot.

I have those and have not had as much success as I have had with regular extractors. Maybe it’s me.

I think it matters why the bolt snapped to begin with. I've had a few broken studs that broke from being over-stressed, over-torqued, etc. The came out easy with whatever was able to get a grip on them. But I've had some that broke because they were seized from corrosion. Those were universally a bastard regardless of what you went after it with. Just did one of those on my core support this weekend - been soaking it with penetrating oil for days, and still had to heat it red hot (and burn all the paint off) to get it out.

Reactions: SAS
I was able to get it out with the regular extractors - thanks for the help. Also snapped two hub studs and tie rods were jacked so went ahead and replaced those as well. The 80 is back up and running better than ever. Can’t wait to get on the trail!

I have those and have not had as much success as I have had with regular extractors. Maybe it’s me.
Interesting. I’m definitely the opposite. Regular extractors go deeper, and I’ve had issue with the expanding the original bolt to be removed, while trying to dig in. The speedouts stay shallower. If you break a Speedout, you can actually remove it too. 🙂
Broken bolts suck no matter how you look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom