HELP! Steering knuckle grease blowout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been checking these for tightness everytime I'm under the truck for the past year or so, after reading horrors stories here.... a good thing to do IMO...

Hey! Do these bolts typically break off? Hitting rocks? Or do they just come loose?

They usually back off after an axle job. They get loosened up during tear-down and are not checked before re-assembly.

Common problem, especially if the studs themselves are not tight in the knuckle. I check the torque on those nuts after each day off-road. I keep a ratchet with the 17mm attached for just this job. We have been over and over the new studs-much better because you can actually tighten them in the knuckle.

One other thing-there are specially hardened studs available from Front Range Offroad. Luke Porter suggested to me that the factory studs that now have the torx on top are actually an upgraded material from the old studs, and reccomended these factory parts OVER the FROR studs. I'm going to run them in my high steer application and see how they hold up.

Shotts-here is your chance to gain a bit of respect around here. Do this repair yourself or with your son. You will learn more about Land Cruisers in the first hour than in a whole winter of webwheeling and arguing about the "shock mod" or whatever. I'm hoping you step up dude.:cheers:

Shotts-here is your chance to gain a bit of respect around here. Do this repair yourself or with your son. You will learn more about Land Cruisers in the first hour than in a whole winter of webwheeling and arguing about the "shock mod" or whatever. I'm hoping you step up dude.:cheers:

Thanks for the info Drew. I cannot do the repairs. If it's working on trucks or earning a living, the living works out. Until this handicap of mine goes away, I'm limited.

I also think that one shouldn't need to work on a truck in order to have respect. I don't need that kind of respect, with all due respect. :)

My son's going to do it in conjunction with our mechanic. That'll be great experience for him!

Thanks' for the advice. I'm gonna get Toyota studs. I looked closer last night and 2 of the 4 are gone. The other 2 could have snapped in an instant.

:beer:

Yep. When mine went there was only one (PS) nut/stud in there. One broke, one backed completely out and the nut on the third one was gone. Nuthin like the smell of hot axle grease on your exhaust.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom