HELP!! stalls at idle...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
Drove in to work thismorning, -15C started fine, ran fine picked up my buddy, everything fine. Gas gauge funky, got more gas. Drove fine, came off the hwy and stalled at the end of the ramp. Got it going again, wuoldn't idle. Using the hand throttle and choke could get it to idle, but it seems to be sputternig a bit. Drives fine, can't feel a thing. It's really fireaking cold out so not fun to work on - I am sort of thinking power to coil or coil? but it runs fine, just won't idle..

PLEASE HELP !!!

Everything seems fine now, how can I check the idle solenoid? I'm thinking it was very cold - perhaps it stuck? The engine never came up to proper operating temp.

Put some gas line anti-freeze in just incase, other than that - did nothing. Started up fine, and ran fine all the way home (did come up to temp) As for the fuel filter - it only appears to be 1/2 full, and has always been that way, but that seems kind of odd to me, why would there be any air in my fuel filter?

Just worried that this is going to get worse if I don't find the problem..

Thanks.

Could the float in the carb be allowing to much fuel to enter. Thats what happened to mine. It ran fine untill i took my foot of the gas and then it would stall. Maybe check the glass on the float bowl.

I'll second the vote for idle solonoid, it seems you can drive without one fine, just won't idle without full choke...I check mine by listening for the click when I turn the key on. Double check by leaving the key on, getting under the hood and wiggling the wire that comes out of the solonoid, and then disconnect and reconnect the bullet connecter a few times listening for that click each time...

Half way round the world & I've just got the same problem! Only it's summer here so I can't blame it on the cold. Running fine one minute - then won't idle. Runs fine at cruise or under power. I've checked power to the idle solenoid, & it "clicks" when the ignition is turned on & off. Do I need to remove it to check it further? Or is it likely to be a blocked jet? If so - is it the one at the base of the carb? And can it be cleared without pulling the carb apart? My Haynes manual doesn't give too much detail on this stuff....

Thanx for any suggestions.

What exactly does the idle solenoid do? could it be that it was frozen? Also, excuse my ignorance, but where is the sight glass on the carb, I'm pretty new at this.
To make it even worse, even if I did check all of these things, like I said - it runs fine now, so I shouldn't find anything wrong!

Thanks.

The idle solenoid is a fuel cut-off to prevent the engine running-on when you turn the ignition off. I don't know if it could freeze - I guess it depends on any lubricants, but it'd have to be VERY cold for fuel to freeze. The sight glass is on the front of the carb - you should see it under the air cleaner looking from in front of the truck. At least I have a continuing problem to solve - I hate those intermittent ones which are never there when you have time to look

Muddy12-

I would pull the top of the carb off carefully, and see how much crap you have in the bottom of the float bowl....you could have something that gets sucked into one of the fuel jets causing your issue.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks - I'll give it a go & let you know how I get on...

Just be careful removing the top cover....the gasket should let go and not tear, but sometimes they are a pain...

:beer:

What about the possibility of a vacuum leak. I had my PCV valve stuck open, and it wouldn't idle, but would run if I gave it gas...

Rocky

I'm pretty sure my problem is in the carb. I've got a dual fuel system and it's running fine on LPG (propane)

Hmm, I can see the PCV valve being stuck when it is really cold. Where is it located, I hear it is pretty easy to clean/replace.

Thanks.

MrMoMo said:
Hmm, I can see the PCV valve being stuck when it is really cold. Where is it located, I hear it is pretty easy to clean/replace.

Thanks.
Passenger side of the engine, firewall side of the distributor. There's a pipe sticking out. The PCV valve is stuck down into the rubber grommet on the top of the pipe. A hose goes from the PCV valve over the engine and into a port on the intake manifold beneath your carb. Assuming we're talking about a 2F, of course.

I decided to check the easy stuff first... Pulled all the vacum hoses & blew compressed air through - blocked the end to check for leaks - also blew through the PCV valve. Didn't find any problems, but when I plumbed it all up again, it idled fine. I'm guessing there must have been something sticking the PCV valve which cleared when I gave it a blast of compressed air. Probably time to replace it anyway? Or is it unlikely to cause further problems? I'm pleased I didn't have to start stripping the carb!

Bad fuel? For Mr. MoMo, anyway. Especially if gas line antifreeze fixed it. Or maybe condensation in your tank. I run SeaFoam through all my vehicles about every two months.

GL

NZ....don't know about your problem, except for what has been mentioned.:frown:

Ed

Degnol, what is SeaFoam? What does it do and where does one get it?

Everything seems to be fine with mine now.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom