HELP! Side cover removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oh crap oh crap oh crap...

Goal was to replace side cover gasket.
I've removed all the air cleaner assembly, alternator & alternator brackets.
I have the side cover loose and ready for removal...
...but the distributor is in the way.

Question: How do you remove the distributor?!?

I've loosened the single bolt at the base of the distributor...dist. not loose. Tap base with a hammer...dist. not move. Feel around the base...no additional bolts. Look closely with mirror...nothing.

I have a trip tomorrow and need to get this back together. I'm so close I can smell it. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the distributor enough to allow me to replace the side cover gasket.

MUD GODS...PLEASE HELP!

2F dizzys have a holddown bolt that goes into the block to the front of the motor and a clamp that you access from the rearward portion of the motor..

Sometimes they get glued pretty good in there

If you loosen both bolts you can typically bump it over a couple of times and it will break free..

then it just slides out

it should pull straight up. you probably have years of carbon and oil gook holding it in place. try working it back and forth turning applying upward pressure. hope you maked the distributor/rotor location before you started moving it around. you can use a little tranny fluid to help break up the gook. have patience and take your time it will come out.

so twist and pull twist and pull. the tranny fluid will cut the gook

I loosened the forward bolt and no movement.

So the clamp is accessed from the back? Any suggestions on loosening the clamp? Tap up from underneath on the rear side?

Thank you also for the quick response.

you need to take the distributor out. make sure you have the engine at TDC with cylinder 1 in compression. Somehow you need to get it loosened up so that it rotates freely and then it needs to be pulled straight out. Make sure you follow directions in the manual, when re-inserting it and consider replacing the o-ring.

re-install:

The oil pump slot can be rotated with a flat head screwdriver if it moves too much when taking it out. Make sure that the rotor is pointing between cylinders 4&5 then push it in so that the oil pump is engaged and the mating surfaces are flush. Check to make sure that the rotor lines up with the number 1 plug point in the distributor cap. I think that should do it...did I miss anything?

Oh yes...do not over torque the side cover bolts as it is very easy to shear those little heads right off.

So this just got a lot more complicated...

Questing about TDC w/ cyl 1 in compression:
With the valve cover off, spark plugs pulled, turning motor by hand. What do I look for on the movement of the valves on cyl 1 to ensure TDC?

Still working on removing the distributor.

And thank you!

have a helper put their finger on the #1 spark plug hole to feel for compression. Check to make sure that the line on the flywheel is lined up with the mark in the window...window is beside the starter...the window has a cover that needs to be loosened up and flipped open. rocker number 4 will be compressed, number 1,2,3 should have slight freedom.

Last edited:
Please forgive the newbiness...

So I need #1 @ TDC...at the end of the compression stroke.

I'm going to assume I'll need to adjust the timing...which is another thing entirely...

Still working on the distributor...
Won't be typing for awhile, now.

And thank you all!

yes, end of compression stroke on #1...you will have to do the timing with a timing light. There is a line on the freewheel and then a BB (yes BB-gun-BB not Bowling Ball) pressed into a hole on the freewheel which is the 7deg Before TDC mark. Use the timing light to line the mark in the window with the BB.

when doing the timing with the timing light, all vacuum lines going to the distributer need to be unplugged and capped and idling at ~650rpm

Last edited:
Thank you for the TDC info.

Have yet to loosen the distributor. Now I'm bleeding. :shotts:

2F dizzys have a holddown bolt that goes into the block to the front of the motor and a clamp that you access from the rearward portion of the motor..

Sometimes they get glued pretty good in there

If you loosen both bolts you can typically bump it over a couple of times and it will break free..

then it just slides out

Using a mirror, I'm not seeing a rearward bolt or a rearward clamp. I'm not seeing the explosion view in the FSM, either.

Any thoughts?

DISTRIBUTOR LOOSE!!!

...and the grease plugged my bleeding...

thanks again...i might be posting more questions about the many steps ahead...but thank you.

and Happy Easter!

:bounce:

022_ele.gif

There should just be one bolt holding it down. I would try to tap it with a hammer or drift just a little in the tangential direction to make it rotate...be careful.

You will have to give it a real yank to get it out. GREAT THAT IT IS LOOSE!

Using a mirror, I'm not seeing a rearward bolt or a rearward clamp. I'm not seeing the explosion view in the FSM, either.

Any thoughts?

Your 60 dizzy should not have a clamp, those where on older ones. Just the single bolt up front.

Your 60 dizzy should not have a clamp, those where on older ones. Just the single bolt up front.

Yep, brain fart..

Too late to really offer any assistance, but my method of removing distributors is to use a marker to mark A) the distributor housing and the block so I can re-align the two, B) the spot on the housing where the rotor is pointing before I pull it, and C) the place he rotor is pointing when it comes clear of the cam shaft. That way, I just line up the dots to put it back together and I don't have to worry about finding TDC. Just my two cents worth.

:clap:
Took a fortnight, but I'm up and running. And just in time for a beer, shower, and on the road on time.

To say I learned a lot is an understatement.

And a simple "thank you" is not justified. The more I fix on the FJ, the more I like her, and the more I appreciate the fine MUD members who help random strangers in need.

Thanks all.

:cheers:

Glad to see it worked out....the best part about these help theads is that someone else in your shoes may read this and find the solution to their problem. enjoy your trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom