Help Request in Identifying a 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across an ad for a 3B that was for sale locally. When I got to see it in person, it was obviously very different from the 3B in my 1986 BJ70. Some of the big differences that jumped out at me are
  • No external EDIC
  • Injector pump might a rotary configuration
  • Power steering pump is integral to the engine
  • Intake manifold is configured for air induction to be side draft rather than down draft
  • Oil filter spins on from the bottom rather than the top

The seller identified it as being a 12volt motor but could not share additional information. Despite it being a pig-in-a-poke with me being ignorant on the differences, I bought. I am requesting the help of this community to identify my pig and help getting it running so I can assess if it is a gem or if I am clown that wasted my money.

Visible part numbers (identification data)
Block:
(on intake side)
TOYOTA
11411-58040 3B
(on exhaust side above motor mount)
94T5 (or 94T8 )
Injector Pump:
TOYOTA
22100-58211
VE4/9F19000RND381
096000-3810 2
07H0011
DENSO

The following are pictures of the engine and various features on it.
IMG_20190810_161139640_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190810_161159102.jpg
IMG_20190810_161251639.jpg
IMG_20190810_161340701.jpg
IMG_20190810_161317250.jpg

Ok, so when the B went from m Mk1 to Mk2, it got the rotary pump and a built in vacuume pump, but not a powersteering pump, you also got a head with a 10 stud exhaust manifold and a stepped aluminum tappit cover.
Yours is either a very early Mk2 3B or it has an old head on it.
If the Mk2 B and 3B are similar, then you should also have a 5 bearing cam and under piston oil squirters.
It's a pity about the manifold , because the 10 stud is interchangeable witha 14BT, which would be good for a turbo.
Good luck, the MK 2 is just a little better than an already good motor.
G

Thank you. Could you clarify your references to the B model rather than the 3B?

Ok, so when the B went from m Mk1 to Mk2, it got the rotary pump ...
If the Mk2 B and 3B are similar, ...

Did you actually mean the B motors here or did you intend to to type 3B?

Also, which pins in the electrical connector on the rotary pump should receive power for operation? The manuals that I have contain no information on the rotary pump models.

No, no mistake here they made a 3 liter B . Sometimes called a 1B. The first, I think pre 1994, Mk1 f looked identical to the 3B, but the newer Mk2 were sexy, with all the features I mentioned. I would have assumed that the 3B may have had the same makeover ( Mk2) at the same time, but I could be wrong. Your block seems to have a pushrod cover under the exhaust manifold?? so it's probably not a Mk2, just a 3B witha rotary pump, so not i am just as in the dark as you are. send me your email on a pm and I'll send you all the manuals and info that I have.

Oh, and my rotary pump only had 1 electrical connection. that is the fuel cut off which stops the fuel ( and motor) on shut down. Connects directly to the switched+ on the ignition key. Energise all the pins with 12 volts until you hear it click. Any other electrical connections may be for a rev counter.
And check you advance before you drive too many miles, the pump looks a little too far off the mark , they are usually very close to the manufactures mark.
G

Oh, and my rotary pump only had 1 electrical connection. that is the fuel cut off which stops the fuel ( and motor) on shut down. Connects directly to the switched+ on the ignition key. Energise all the pins with 12 volts until you hear it click. Any other electrical connections may be for a rev counter.
And check you advance before you drive too many miles, the pump looks a little too far off the mark , they are usually very close to the manufactures mark.
G
I second that advance check. If it was a 3b with an inline pump it would be nailing at idle.

Gentlemen,
Thank you. With both of you flagging the timing, is the following picture of the IP why you have flagged it? [i.e., Should the groove on the timing gear housing come close to aligning with the groove on the IP mounting flange?]

IMG_20190810_161159102.jpg

It's all gengis pointing that out. Good eye. The stamp marks usually are aligned. I've never timed a rotary pump but perhaps some one can chime in. Lots of folks advance timing to mask issues like low compression and hard starts. Compression check?

No, no mistake here they made a 3 liter B . Sometimes called a 1B. The first, I think pre 1994, Mk1 f looked identical to the 3B, but the newer Mk2 were sexy, with all the features I mentioned. I would have assumed that the 3B may have had the same makeover ( Mk2) at the same time, but I could be wrong. Your block seems to have a pushrod cover under the exhaust manifold?? so it's probably not a Mk2, just a 3B witha rotary pump, so not i am just as in the dark as you are. send me your email on a pm and I'll send you all the manuals and info that I have.
I

At the end of the day I think we can assume that you have a good old 3B with a rotary IP. Toyota did a lot of mods for certain markets, I have even seen 15B engines with linear ( old) IP's. They also supplied different front caseings which could accomoadte built in power steering punp or vacuum pumps, or both.
Your engine probally came from a dyna or a bus because the radiator sat lower than the thermostat housing. you can tell this by the radiator cap on top of the thermostat housing.
I think you got lucky, the rotary pump is easier to prime and set, and is less bulkey and you get a power steering pump built in.
I would carry on as per a 3B and get your IP setting info from the Mk2 manual which will send to you. the other manual is for the old B and 2B but most of it will be OK for the 3B. Do a search there is a hell of a lot of info and manuals available on this site.
On these rotary pumps, just align the two marks ( -- ), and your engin will start and run well and can then be tweeked as per manual proceedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom