help removing dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
help removing dash pad

I have 78' BJ 40. I have removed all the screws I can see. How does the dash come off?

Last edited:
Are you talking about the " dash pads "?

Or the insturment cluster?

After removing ALL the screws that hold them to the dash from the bottom...you will need to get a small, long, thin screwdriver and locate the little metal tabs that are molded into the pads....if you just peel them off the dash, the tabs that are molded into the pads will rip out...

you will need to find these, and work the scredriver into the area next to the pin that secures them in the dash...and pry them out, very carefully. If you just tip the top of the pad a bit, you will see what I am talking about, and this *hopefully* will make sense... :)

These trim pads are held in place similar to the emblems on the fender aprons on 09/73 and later 40 series...a little stud that is held in place by a piece of spring steel in a square hole in the dash... :)

Good luck!

-Steve

If you can move your windshield frame forward, even just a little, it will help ALOT! Then you can see the tabs Steve described even better. I compare the hold of the pad to a fish hook, especially when it tears itself apart if you don't to it right.

Once you can see it, you will understand.

My wife's thin arms and small hands work good for reaching behind those clips and rocking, squeezing, or whatever she does to make them let go. She's very useful for that.
Truth is, I couldn't say how she does it but when I need one of those pieces off I call her and she does it in a matter of less than a minute.

I call for "little hands!" and she comes running :D

You've probably already done this, but don't forget to unplug the wire going to the light in the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom