Help Pricing/Random Offer on 80-series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I read up on their process. I think after I get things all tidied up with the old boy, I'll try them first before I put it on Craigslist by itself (I'll definitely put the ad up with the link to the BaT site tho...). That's awesome! What great info. Thanks again.

Glad you found it helpful.

If you do go with BAT spend some time reading comments from other sales threads. I've never bought/sold anything there but if I did I would really bring by A game in photos, documentation and response time.

If you do go with BAT spend some time reading comments from other sales threads. I've never bought/sold anything there but if I did I would really bring by A game in photos, documentation and response time.
I spent some time today looking at the wording of their postings (I'm a writer) as well as the quality of the postings overall and photos specifically. At this point, I've already got a bunch of parts on order for The Arbiter and plan to get all the little things fixed as well as getting it professionally detailed on the exterior.

Few questions about BaT: I know the rig will (at some point) need a new rear main. It eats about 1/2- one quart every ~3000+ miles. I haven't fixed it because it's been this way for years...I just know it's coming sometime in the future. First: will they accept that? It's pretty common for trucks this old, but I'm not sure about them specifically. Second, should I spend the ~$900 on it beforehand with the goal of getting it back upon sale?

Thanks for all your feedback. This is really helping me. I don't want to let it go, but again, money. So...

I'm surprised the "$500 tops!" guy hasn't chimed in on this thread.
Give him 5 minutes and he'll convince you to pay someone to take it off your hands.

IF you are doing rear main which is 30 dollars or less depending on where you get it. then you might find the leak is the one of the oil pans, arch seal... and then you are doing that too. doing it yourself is some hours, but dramatically cheaper. I would either try some AT-205 and disclose it or do the work myself unless you think it is really going to bring that value up, which it might and then the labor of getting that work done might really be worth it.

IF you are doing rear main which is 30 dollars or less depending on where you get it. then you might find the leak is the one of the oil pans, arch seal... and then you are doing that too. doing it yourself is some hours, but dramatically cheaper. I would either try some AT-205 and disclose it or do the work myself unless you think it is really going to bring that value up, which it might and then the labor of getting that work done might really be worth it.
And that's my point...I'm not sure if it would be better to leave it and disclose it (I fully intend to) or pay a pro to do it (and maybe more) in terms of the end price I would/can get?

It's going to be somewhere near 900 bucks, I'm sure. I'm trying to figure out whether I can hope for
something like 19-20k on BaT without fixing it (even though it will likely be years until it's an actual issue...judging on the past few years of the leak not getting bigger).

I want two things: to make sure that I get the most I can for the rig -- and to make sure that I'm a fair broker in that. I don't want to misrepresent my rig. It's a solid rig.

And that's my point...I'm not sure if it would be better to leave it and disclose it (I fully intend to) or pay a pro to do it (and maybe more) in terms of the end price I would/can get?

It's going to be somewhere near 900 bucks, I'm sure. I'm trying to figure out whether I can hope for
something like 19-20k on BaT without fixing it (even though it will likely be years until it's an actual issue...judging on the past few years of the leak not getting bigger).

I want two things: to make sure that I get the most I can for the rig -- and to make sure that I'm a fair broker in that. I don't want to misrepresent my rig. It's a solid rig.

I think you should pay to have it done and supply documentation in the sale. It’s a known issue and having it done and documented helps support of a premium price in the auction. Also, it would be worth getting the car detailed and LOTS of good quality pictures of the good and the bad. How many times have you seen an ad where they won’t show the wear on the driver seat? I always assume the seller is dishonest when they omit the worn parts of the vehicle. If you are clear and transparent about any negatives it will bring about confidence in the bidders.

I think you should pay to have it done and supply documentation in the sale. It’s a known issue and having it done and documented helps support of a premium price in the auction. Also, it would be worth getting the car detailed and LOTS of good quality pictures of the good and the bad. How many times have you seen an ad where they won’t show the wear on the driver seat? I always assume the seller is dishonest when they omit the worn parts of the vehicle. If you are clear and transparent about any negatives it will bring about confidence in the bidders.

Yeah, I can add it to the other $4k in new work/parts over the last year and a half or so.

And I noticed the same thing about the pictures of the driver's side seat. That's ALWAYS how I measure a Land Cruiser ad, haha. If there's no pics of the seat, I start wondering.

Yeah, I can add it to the other $4k in new work/parts over the last year and a half or so.

And I noticed the same thing about the pictures of the driver's side seat. That's ALWAYS how I measure a Land Cruiser ad, haha. If there's no pics of the seat, I start wondering.

I think doing the repair is the right path because it removes a reason for a potential buyer to reject your truck over another. It also shows that you're wanting to represent the truck in its best possible form, which at least for me, illustrates a caring owner and that's who most people would prefer to buy from.

BTW, BaT have a formal outline of what to take pictures of and materials they'd like you to supply, so as long as you follow their format you should end up with an A+ ad.

Good luck with the sale!

PS: look at the below chart for sold auctions. That's a very prominent cluster in the $20K - $30K range.

1612144474143.png

Last edited:
It’s worth $500! just kidding lol.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this sold for $19-$21k after he fixes the issues. Nice color

Two more data points from BaT:

1612484129277.png

FYI

Both had ~ 170K miles. The LC had a leaking oil pump, stock, and pretty good cosmetically. The LX was lightly modified, good cosmetically, with no obvious repairs needed.

I'm late to the party. At the rate 80 series are climbing in value, it would be nuts to sell right now. I've been keeping an eye on the market to see if I can score a deal on a 2nd 80 as a spare and everything I've seen I can't afford. @shinsain anything under 200K is worth a lot but when you add have nice paint, minimal rust, good interior, and ready-to-drive anywhere, that's a diamond. If the Cruiser isn't leaving a mark on the driveway, then the leak is minor. My rear main and/or upper oil pan has been leaking for years but only recently started dripping.

I did find a 95 locked 80 on Craigslist 2 years ago for $5K completely stock with less than 200K miles. Pictures online looked great but once I saw it in person it was a different story. Vin plate removed from dash, ate up with rust, and leaks everywhere. It was so bad we didn't even start the engine and offering $2500 would have been me throwing money away.

Wow...both of those updates are awesome. I'm really stoked. I'm going to put the few grand into it to fix the little stuff, do the rear main, and then really the only things "wrong" with it will be the clear coat on the fenders and the basic stuff (steering wheel has a cover, etc.). I even checked the lockers in the mountains a few days ago...still 3x locked like the day it was made.

And I put remote start, keyless, and some other audio creature comforts in it, too (full system w/ removable sub). This makes me really happy. I love my Trucky McCruiserface...just want him to go to a good home so his sacrifice isn't for naught.

Wow...both of those updates are awesome. I'm really stoked. I'm going to put the few grand into it to fix the little stuff, do the rear main, and then really the only things "wrong" with it will be the clear coat on the fenders and the basic stuff (steering wheel has a cover, etc.). I even checked the lockers in the mountains a few days ago...still 3x locked like the day it was made.

And I put remote start, keyless, and some other audio creature comforts in it, too (full system w/ removable sub). This makes me really happy. I love my Trucky McCruiserface...just want him to go to a good home so his sacrifice isn't for naught.
I’d install a Loncky wrap if you have the time.

Loncky Leather Steering Wheel Cover for 2005-2011 Toyota Tacoma /2003-2009 4Runner /2004-2010 Sienna /2003-2007 Sequoia /2004-2007 Highlander /2005 2006 Camry /1995 1997-2007 Land Cruiser Accessories Amazon product ASIN B00QLYA3XS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom