Help pricing our family's 1995 Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are 8 pictures total in the album. I'm not aware of any rust beyond the hitch and rear wiper.
My bad. I didn’t know you had to Click on the picture. I’m ****ing old I suppose. Revised to $6.99k

This is how I found my 80. Son selling on Mud for dad. 200k, lockers, new leather, great paint. I paid $6k.

Check the classifieds here for comps. Don’t look at bring a trailer. Get it cleaned up and take some good photos. List it here. $10-12k
Thanks for chiming in!

I bought one in similar worse shape but a year older just before prices started going dumb. I overpaid at $8.5K. Mine is triple locked and it had 196k miles.

I think you’re looking at $15k easily. He needs to clean it up though. Why was it parked for a decade? That’s worrisome.

1) Rebuild the front axle.
2) Steam clean the undercarriage
3) treat any rust and paint the undercarriage
4) write a really pretentious story about how it was "brought back to factory condition" and submit it to BAT

Easy $40k.

Yeah, but no, I think he's kidding also, or maybe not because there's plenty of people with too much money and no common sense (potential buyers, not posters on Mud :))

Most people (at least those on Mud and who work on their own trucks) want to see what the untouched condition is to better determine what is needed. Spraying rattle can black paint or undercoating on the wheel wells and undercarriage is a well-known trick of used car lots. Covers up a lot.

I've told this story before; myself and a few other people checked out a 40th Anniversary Edition for sale a few years ago. The online photos looked very good, clean interior and shiny exterior paint. But once I got to look at it in person the engine bay and undercarriage looked like the vehicle had been driven into the ocean for a year and left on the shore to rot, or driven in Pennsylvania winters for 20 years, same thing.

Worst rust I had ever seen which is why a bunch of people and myself passed on it. That used car dealer eventually sold it to someone who likely just didn't get down and look at the undercarriage and the dealer likely didn't tell them about the rust, I know everyone from MUD who looked at it did. I'm sure however that the first time the new owners took it in for service they got a big surprise when the mechanic walked back out to tell them he can't work on it or that it wasn't safe to drive because everything is either rusted shut or falling off.

FWIW

Last edited:
All these estimates/guesses/wish-mine-is-worth-that-much opinions
IMHO don't mean anything until it's looked at very closely in person by someone who knows these very well and even then unless there are obvious signs for example of a leaking head gasket you might have to replace that right off the bat, another $5k+/- expense if you pay someone to do it.

Examples:

One rust-free lady-driven very clean 80 I picked up a few years ago still needed a ton of catch-up maintenance and replacement parts, still working on getting it all right.

Another 80 I picked up two years ago turned out to have a cracked block (cylinder wall, undisclosed by the PO, filled full of block sealer but clean radiator), so that 80 is still sitting dead in the water.

People giving the OP these high valuations aren't doing him or the prospective buyer any favors. He'll get excited thinking it's worth it's weight in gold, only to be let down when he realizes it isn't. And a prospective buyer may end up paying more than it's actually worth because everyone who owns one of these already is hoping their's is worth it's weight in gold. And the inflation cycle just continues upward.

These all are old vehicles and unless you do all your own work they're expensive to repair. And if you do your own work it can be very time consuming. IMHO/IME.

My two cents.
THIS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom