1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by drohweder, Mar 4, 2004.

1. drohweder

drohweder

I usually don't hang out on this side of the forum but I need your input before I buy an 80 series. I think I've found a nice rig that has been very well maintained, has lots of the extras I would put on but its high mileage. About 200K. My question is: even with an 80 that has been maintained by a cruiser enthusiest with mechanical skills what can I expect to wear out (and thus cost me $$) in the next 2 years of owning it? Its a 93 from CO with no rust and mechanically very solid.

Your thoughts and opinions. Thanks again, hope to join the club soon :D

Here is the add info:
    2.5 inch OME springs and shock, installed about 2 months ago.
    -285 75 R16 dunlop radials on factory wheels both tires/wheels in good shape.
    -ARB front bull bar
    -Piaa lights
    -Factory diff locks
    -leather
    -CD
    -sun roof
    -3rd row seats
    This thing is super clean body is in great shape. small rust patch rear hatch. few light scratches from brush. The inside is very clean also, the leather seats are in great condition, the driver seat is the most warn but still in good shape. Mechanicaly very sound I would hop right in this baby and go cross country no problem. It has 197,500 miles on it but I just did a tune up and all the plugs looked perfect no oil. It burns about 1/2 to 3/4 quart every 3,000 miles. This thing not only looks cool but runs and drives perfect.

2. drohweder

drohweder

under the hood. Seems clean to me :D

3. drohweder

drohweder

Someone has to have a cruiser this age....help a young cruiserite out. :D

4. lagwagon

lagwagon

Is it still in CO or out here. Come drive mine if you want to no what your getting into.

5. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2]Shhhhh .. *concentwaating* . Ok .. must do's :
    • Map tech from here to the Docs
    • Purchase nite goggles
    • Pack 10 Tangerine-Candy rattle cans ...

It's umm , verrrrrry nice .. just do it !! I could use a road trip . :flipoff2: :D 8)[/glow]

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

6. drohweder

drohweder

Truck is still in CO. I am going to be home in May and pick it up then. First day driving it will be a 2K mile haul back to CA!! Lag: I may just do that, I'll bring the wife too as it will be her car, until I take it over and buy her the new vehicle!

TYLER: What?

7. firetruck41

firetruck41

I bought a 93 FZJ a little over a year ago w/175k miles, now I've got 193k mi. it was maintained at the dealer and local shop (probably just fluid changes, etc). Since I've had it I've just done preventative maintenance: fluid/filter changes, spark plugs, cap and rotor, and have parts to do birfield repack and it will get brake pads front and rear. The only thing it actually needed (safety/driveability problems) are front rotors (with the birf repack), and it recently had a rough running engine, solved with new spark plug wires (should've done that when I replaced the plugs/cap/rotor etc. last year). It consumes ~1qt oil per 1.5-2k mi.

In other words, nothing major has gone wrong with mine, just needs the same standard stuff a LC with 120k would need on it. I do wonder how long my engine will last, but have no signs of impending doom and figure I've got 50-100k before I need to do anything about it.

8. lagwagon

lagwagon

Mine seems to consume no oil in 3500 miles but I have a friend consuming a quart in 2k with 262k miles. Never repacked or checked birfs in that time :p

9. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

[quote author=drohweder link=board=2;threadid=12560;start=msg115313#msg115313 date=1078453228]
    First day driving it will be a 2K mile haul back to CA!! [/quote]

Here is one I ran into that is equipped much like the one you are looking at but with fewer miles and is a lot closer than 2000 miles...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/show...866d5154f3a14&threadid=220934&highlight=fzj80

I have no affiliation nor do I even know if it is still for sale. Please excuse the Pirated link.

10. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    if it's going to calfornia and will need to pass emissions testing worry about the condition of the emissions system. Read some EGR/code 71 posts to learn more. I am slowly bringing a utah truck into compliance with BC emissions. Every part of the EGR system seems to have been plugged up.

otherwise, just the usual stuff: belts, brakes, birfields...

11. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    When I flew out to buy mine I crawled under, over, and through it while talking to my brother IdahoDoug on the cell. He coached me through everything unique to cruisers, told me what to look for and what not to worry about. I think everyone should call him when they have questions, lets see, where's his cell phone number....

12. lagwagon

lagwagon

The one thing I should always recommend when purchasing a vehicle after my botched 80 purchase is look in the whites of there eyes.

13. drohweder

drohweder

Good advise. Guy says he is going to check the compression and let me know. Its not quite a done deal but if it looks good I may jump on it. Maybe I should have the guy email me a photo of himself...good idea lag.

Hoser: I'm in the military and CO resident so basically for the next 7 years I don't have to worry about emissions...yet.

What about drive train...trany, t-case, difs?

14. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2] Ok , honestly , if it were me , and I had future plans on it , as you indicated to me ... then I would NOT buy a rig with so many miles on it .. I don't care how cream puff it looks . Miles are miles .... some better than others ; but still miles . WHould you have married your beautiful wife if she was 77 yrs old ?? Nope ... so why put your time and money into a cruiser thats been around the block so many times . You'll be making good coin soon , so why not wait a little bit and buy a cream puff 80 with less than 100 K on it ? Again , if it were my 2 cents , thats what I would do ... in fact it's the advise I got early on in my search for one .. and is exactly what I did ... a '97 80 with 65K miles .. sub $20K back in '01 .

Best of luck ! Not the easiest of decisions , I know ...[/glow]

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

15. drohweder

drohweder

Good advice Tyler. Its tuff when you have to wait cause every year every 80 series is getting more miles racked up...since they aren't made anymore and I personally find the 100 very uncruiser. Perhaps putting down big coin now would be a good idea...if I had it. Thing is I can get into an 80 for half that amount and drive it for a few years and sell it for a small loss and by then have the money to upgrade.

Anyway, what about the rest of the peanut gallery out there?

16. drohweder

drohweder

The other draw is having an OME lift, ARB bumper already on the rig. those are things I would eventually do and would not have the money for otherwise...I better keep thinking about this one.

17. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

what does he want for it?

eric

18. drohweder

drohweder

19. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    how much do you drive a year? Mine has 135k and I figure it will be 6 years before it has the same mileage as that one does today. That means that, all things being equal, my truck should last me 6 years longer than if I was to buy his. To me that makes mine a lot more valuable than his. More than the difference in price to buy a mallcruiser with 135k and add your own ome and ARB. Just my 2 cents. It does look like a nice truck and for the right price I would buy it.

20. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2]Thats the point I'm still trying to get across .... longevity -- future plans .

IF your future plans include building up this rig for the trails , then why not get one with .... longevity built in . Compromise somewhere in the middle then .. not a cream puff , and not a 200K'er . Perhaps something thats just rolled over 120K . And if the wifey gets first dibs on it , and the 4x4'ing is off in the future , who really cares about ARB or OME for now .... drop those accessories from your wishlist for now , and focus on a clean , locked LX450 , 80 with middle-mileage . Let the wife drive it for a few years ... then start slowly upgrading it as you see fit .

Put your dough into something built for 'today' , but also a rig that has great potential for 'tomorrow' . If you deny yourself this line of thought now , as you have already noted your dream 80 might get swallowed up in the market by the time you get there . Look for the threads here on what to look for in a great 80/450 and use that as a starting point ....

:cheers:[/glow]

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">