Help please; Drive shaft damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, we live in Kansas and drove cross country to California, currently in Bishop. I was doing some wheeling last night I got high-centered on a rock and damaged the driveshaft. It is intacted and drives ok up until 40, then it will rattle the truck apart. I don’t see any holes in the shaft itself but of course it’s Saturday and no place is open, besides I would have to take it to a driveline shop anyway. I am towing a trailer, can I lock the center differential and make it back home? We have a long ways to go to go….. what would you do? Thanks
181AC5D9-0EAB-40FF-A933-30DC031AF06D.jpeg
B3F2FC9F-61E0-465E-8063-2AA9FC5DD8F1.jpeg
7887D417-011E-43CC-A30D-A354F0E56492.jpeg

E263C1C2-7767-48D5-B6BA-3EA4203CB2F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed! Another option would be to have a driveline shop that can fix/make driveshafts spin you a new one. They'll reuse your end yokes but can match the length. I've had that done with a shop here in Tucson and have had great success.

Driving back to Bishop, going to the Toyota dealership to see if there’s something that could be done in either case, I will pull the shaft when I get there. Can I just drive the thing around like normal with only the front shaft and the center locked?

Driving back to Bishop, going to the Toyota dealership to see if there’s something that could be done in either case, I will pull the shaft when I get there. Can I just drive the thing around like normal with only the front shaft and the center locked?
That I can't answer. It makes sense, but I don't know what other damage may occur. I certainly wouldn't drive it much with the driveshaft damaged. That vibration is being passed along to other parts (seals, bearings, etc...)

Best is to get a new driveshaft, or repair if poss.
In any case, take off the damaged driveshaft and drive with CDL locked (i.e. front wheel drive) if possible. Pulling a trailer with FWD depends on the trailer and the roads.... Drivability with FWD also depends on how tight your bushings, ball joints and bearings are - Without RWD as well, the fronts will have a lot of force pulling the whole road train, but absolutely possible.

I’d get a hotel with a pool and decent breakfast then overnight an oe or Dorman replacement.

For sure you can lock the center diff and drive in FWD but if you're towing be careful with the added stresses.

I've driven hundreds of miles home in FWD but never with a trailer. It'll have a hard time on steep inclines. Everyone's advice is spot on, replace or re-tube. If you re-tube, you can go with thicker wall tubing.

Thanks everyone, I did pull the shaft and have gone about 30 miles or so and it’s driving fine even with a Trailer. I’m going to try to make my way up to Reno on Monday and find something there so if you have any advice replaces there let me know. Thanks again

OEM drive shaft is not too expensive (about $400). Have you try to source one from a dealer? Since the toyota warehouse in Torrance CA (correct me if I am wrong), you should be able to get it very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom