Help Please Broken 80 in Denver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While driving down 1-70 this morning my 80 lost all power. It will idle but when rev'd above 2k it suddenly dies. Fuel pump? Electrical?

Truck is now stuck at 1-70 and 225 in Denver and I need to either fix it or figure out a good mechanic to get it to. Any suggestions?? Is Oleg still in buisiness??

How close are you to Slee in Golden? Not as familiar with the Denver area as I used to be. Just know he's in the area too.

Air flow meter, perhaps? Someone will have to run a diagnostic test. Any shop could do it.

CEL on? What year 80?

No check engine light?

WAG: fuel pump relay not switching to full flow?

Do 80s have a "Safe Mode?" Some vehicles will do just this when the computer detects something wrong. This will A- Let you know that something is wrong and B- keep you from damaging the engine.

I just don't know if the LCs have that programming.

No matter what it is, I hope you're able to get it fixed.

:steer:

While driving down 1-70 this morning my 80 lost all power. It will idle but when rev'd above 2k it suddenly dies. Fuel pump? Electrical?

Truck is now stuck at 1-70 and 225 in Denver and I need to either fix it or figure out a good mechanic to get it to. Any suggestions?? Is Oleg still in buisiness??

If time is more important than money at the moment, call sleeoffroad.
Tel (888) 4X4-Slee
Tel (888) 494-7533
Tel (303) 278-8287
info@sleeoffroad.com

They are 26 miles west of you and would have a good shot at having parts and a Toyota tech who happens to specialize in land Cruisers on site.

If money is more important than time... When was the last time any of these were checked/replaced?
fuel filter
air filter
plugs
cap
wires
rotor
fuel pump sock
catalytic converter
fuel pump relay
MAF sensor
Intake tube - is there a crack in it?

You could probably tell your GPS to route you on the surface and keep it under 2K RPM the 30 miles west to Slee. Think of it as a tour of Denver. You'd want to call him ahead if you're coming his way though. He and his guys don't work for free - and shouldn't. The flip side is that this might get you back on the road a whole lot faster than chasing ghosts.

A little more info would also be helpful. What year 80? Mileage? Recent maintenance? etc?

Sounds like the mass air flow sensor. Get a can of cleaner (for maf sensors) and clean it.

Thanks for all the replies!
After calling around not many mechanics will touch it......a 94 with 270K. I called the dealership and they said they do work on older cuisers, is Slee a better choice? Unfortunatley $$$$ is an issue= lost my job.

All maintenance is up to date and the truck is/was running great, just took it to the mountains and was telling the wifee how glad i was to still be driving this very reliable steed.

Mechanic said might be fuel/throttle body sensor? hope not very $$$$ also maybe the distributor?

Can you get it to an auto parts store? Most will run codes for you to help determine what's going on. Even if there's no check engine light on, it could still be tripping codes.

This might give you somewhere to start.

They won't touch it because it's a '94 with 270k?....@#$#%% .....those aren't mechanics son,
you've been talking with a bunch of candy a**es.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!
After calling around not many mechanics will touch it......a 94 with 270K. I called the dealership and they said they do work on older cuisers, is Slee a better choice? Unfortunatley $$$$ is an issue= lost my job.

All maintenance is up to date and the truck is/was running great, just took it to the mountains and was telling the wifee how glad i was to still be driving this very reliable steed.

Mechanic said might be fuel/throttle body sensor? hope not very $$$$ also maybe the distributor?

I don't know Slee's rates, but I assume they would be competitive. Keep in mind that at Slee you will get a mechanic with experience working on LCs, whereas a local dealership or other independent may have seen one "once in a while".

Either way, more information about the maintenance history of the truck and the symptoms of the problem (does the engine die like when you turn off the key or does it sputter or stall, any odd noises etc) would help us help you ;)

Call Robbie, aka Powderpig. 303-884-7813.

Either way, more information about the maintenance history of the truck and the symptoms of the problem (does the engine die like when you turn off the key or does it sputter or stall, any odd noises etc) would help us help you ;)[/QUOTE]

Was running great just changed oil and rad fluid. first thing I checked was rad fluid after it happened, it was ok. Peeked around the engine and saw nothing out of place, cracked or broken. No wierd noises when it's idling sounds just as it should. No engine light until it revs past 2k it will sputter like it's running out of fuel and just cut. Tried it several times with the exact same response. It was cold and rainy this morning let the car idle for awhile with no issues......until I rev it.

Just did 180 miles a few days ago and it was spinnin like a top.

Throttle body sensor get wet or water into the air intake?

Call Robbie, aka Powderpig. 303-884-7813.

I've never called on this guy but have read numerous quality things about him on this forum... If I were in your situation, I would for sure call him. just my .02
good luck

This guy is a 1 banana guy. Ya gots to give your advice in 1 banana talk, not 2, or 3, or 4, but 1:

Have you popped the hood? have a look at the the thing that has wires going to it next to the air filter )The big round thing on the passenger side). Are the wires still plugged in? if not plug them back in. Check the hose that goes from the air cleaner to the engine. Is it cracked? If it is, grab a roll of duct tape, tape the s*** out of it and drive home.

This guy is a 1 banana guy. Ya gots to give your advice in 1 banana talk, not 2, or 3, or 4, but 1:

Check the hose that goes from the air cleaner to the engine. Is it cracked? If it is, grab a roll of duct tape, tape the **** out of it and drive home.

Canadian wheelers don't mess around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom