Help please- 1984 BJ40 Diesel inbound in pieces, some questions for the gurus. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
Threads
I've attempted to search for these answers, but I haven't had a great deal of luck. I'm hoping some of you wise folks can help me out.

Background: I ended up acquiring a 1984 Columbian market BJ40 in pieces as part of a trade deal. Details here, but not really important for this thread. The BJ is being packed in a shipping container and headed to my house in Maine. I saw it briefly in Toledo, took a couple of pics, but didn't really dig in too far. Prior owner says he was "taken" on the import, was quite unhappy about the truck, and wanted ALL of his Land Cruiser life gone.

i-kBbj3zC-X2.jpg

i-pQTCcZ9-X2.jpg

I have no doubt there is bondo in those panels, but they look decent from a short distance. I'm sure it isn't worth what he paid (I didn't ask), but it isn't the rotten carcass I was lead to believe. I know there is value here, but some parts are a little vague. B motor is said to run, but I haven't heard it.

1. I have no need for the B motor. These seem to be unloved, but parts also seem scarce. Rough estimate on value for the motor?

2. I have a 1967 FJ40 that I would like to upgrade from the 3 speed/T-case. As a 1984, does this have the same H42 transmission as other BJ's? Same gearing on the trans as the US market H42 or something else in the Columbian market? I know the input shaft needs to be changed for an FJ on a BJ trans, but I am curious if there are other differences.

3. Split case in this? I don't have the ID skills to figure this out from the pic.

4. This has power steering. Is that retrofittable to an early FJ? Is it worth it (old box, just do a saginaw)? Similar to Mini-truck mod?

5. Will the diffs be 4.11 or 3.7 in the foreign market truck? Looks like a rear axle e-brake, so that will help with my 67. Planning on moving the disc front, rear e-brake axles over, curious what the ratios are.

Anything else useful, salvageable or particularly unobtanium on this rig? I'll have my hands on it in a couple of weeks, but even with it in hand, I won't know the answers to some of these questions.

Thanks as always for the help.

Post up the data tag information and it will be much easier to figure out exactly what you might have.
Thanks Onur. I will do that, but unfortunately was dumb enough to snap a couple of quick pics, but not the one that would be really helpful. VIN is BJ40062872 if that's any help. Otherwise I'll have to be patient until the container lands.

Those deals can be great for the second guy in line. Too bad for the original US buyer, but it happens. I think the power steering should swap nice. Also getting a disc brake front axle and hopefully a full floater rear. Likely the higher gears but maybe 4.11. Like Onur said, the tag will help. Hopefully it is a great score

Looks like this will be a BJ40LV-KC. Most likely.

If this is a Colombian build, it will either have been imported from Japan as a CBU (Completely Built Unit) or as a CKD (Complete Knock-Down kit) that would have been sent to Venezuela and assembled there.

The frame number indicates the following:

Feb. 1984 manufacture plan started with frame number 62824. March 1984 manufacture plan started with frame number 63006.

9622BCFC-5204-4BDA-A2FE-F0420E0A88FA.jpeg

So we are looking at 182 frames (vehicles) manufactured in 02/1984. Yours would have been the 134th frame to be manufactured during that month. So more than likely the 3rd or 4th week of manufacture if the manufacturing pace was consistent (and for a low monthly volume of this specific frame, it would have been thrown in the mix with the thousands of other LC's being manufactured during this time with different market-specific platforms and engines).

B Engine. A dog. But most of them are. You can probably sell this as an assy to someone who is doing a resto, or part it out if you are going to a different power plant (recommended). Of course, unless this is indeed going to be a restoration.

This had factory PS. Reservoir on top of pump style. In line IP. Drum brake front and rear. 15" split rim or 16 in steel wheel would have been an option per market and end customer if order-built (which in 1984 would have been normal operating procedure).

Would have had either a mechanical PTO or an electric winch as an option. Most likely the former. Would have had the smaller idler shaft transfer case (mechanical case, not vacuum actuated).

Tranny would have been an 4 speed most likely an H41F.

Thanks Onur, that's very helpful. I am not planning on restoring or rehabbing this rig. It came to me as part of the deal on the 4BT Proffitt's truck in my other posts (looking for a new home). I just picked up an original paint, Idaho desert 1967 that had a SBC conversion by the original owner, done at a Toyota dealer, in the 90s. That gets a patina preservation, mechanical restoration. So, I am looking at cobbling together an updated drivetrain. 4 speed, split case, disc brake axles, rear e-brake. I also have a set of disc 78 axles. May leave the SBC as it's part of the history, the truck is already not original, and it's cheap and easy. A big part of me keeps looking for a complete 2F drivetrain to drop in, and I even found one in Seattle coming out of an FJ60 that I could bring across. Not entirely sure on this, I am much intrigued by the @wngrog "cop motor"

1. All that said, the B motor needs a new home, I am definitely not going to use it. I hope someone can, I'd hate to just scrap it.

2. Looks like I could potentially use the trans, t-case and rear axle. Looking at my pics, full float I think? Power steering possibly useful?

3. I'm on the east coast, and just emailed Ryan at OTRAMM about potentially rebuilding the trans/t-case. I'd need an input shaft. He seemed very reluctant to do work on a South American import, saying every one he has seen is scrap. I figured if I was rebuilding, and things didn't look bad on tear down, the refresh would be fine. Am I wrong? Fatigued gears, cases, etc that could make these time bombs despite rebuild?

4. Between Trans/T-case, rear FF axle with parking brake, there's a lot of potential value there for refresh IF South American parts aren't time bombs. Thoughts from the experts? Thanks as always for the help.

The steering box looks like a manual steering setup. It's on the frame just behind the front tire in the photo. I don't see any plumbing lines going to/from it. Also likely would be able to see the P/S fluid reservoir on the pump in the area behind the thermostat housing in that photo. It's not there. P/S equipped B series 40s usually have the thermostat outlet pointed the other direction too so there's room for the P/S pump. Makes me think there's no P/S. A functioning LHD 40 series power steering setup is quite rare. Would be cool if you actually have one there.

Tcase appears to be a splitcase, no PTO attached.

Yes, full floater rear end. The 4" of axle housing sticking out of the rear wheel is the sign of a FF.

Might want to buy yourself a new H55 and sell the H41. Some of the rock crawler guys like the H41s.

These seem to be unloved, but parts also seem scarce.

Not really unloved unless you want to do long miles on the freeway each day. Parts are not really a problem because it was used in other Toyotas at least until 95 and the other B motors use similar parts (there is an 11B). There were also marine and stationary applications for the B engine. It just takes a bit of imagination and detective work but in many countries there are still off the shelf parts available.

Might want to buy yourself a new H55 and sell the H41. Some of the rock crawler guys like the H41s.
Yes, in the back of my mind, I kept hearing the little voice saying "stop screwing around, just get the H55F.

2. Looks like I could potentially use the trans, t-case and rear axle. Looking at my pics, full float I think? Power steering possibly useful?

That front axle has value as well. The knuckles and wheel hubs are different but otherwise everything should be the same as a US spec disc brake axle, which makes a disc conversion very easy. It probably has 4.11 gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom