Help on upper rad manifold leak... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
I'm kinda bummed- I was planning on driving my 55 to Oregon this weekend and found this yesterday while installing fogs.

What do you guys think? Is this a common leak? Should I take it on the trip anyway and just keep a bottle of coolant handy?
DSC04974.jpg
DSC04975.jpg

Need to address this sooner rather than later.

I'd replace your T-Stat, with new bottom gasket AND new rubber 'O' ring on top.

And replace All rad. hoses. Your bypass hose looks particularly suspect.

Snug everything down, look for leaks & you're likely good to go. One hour's worth of work.

John

So- I'm no great mechanic, but is the thermostat inside that thing?

BTW- this is on a 1975 2F if it matters.

Yep, that's the t-stat housing.

Okay- off to the auto parts store!

take it easy with the bolts when taking it apart. the bolts have a tendency to "freeze" to the lower housing and break.

i found the freeezing bolts ....

are from the last guy getting sealer on the threads, and it acts like a supper lock tite.

so be a bit careful when you assemble yours.

are from the last guy getting sealer on the threads, and it acts like a supper lock tite.

also has to do with steel bolts and aluminium housing. different metals.

Ok, what kind of sealant do I need to use during the re-assembly, and where do I use it?

Bump for the sealant question- I'm tackling this tonight.

i use ...

the blue gaskest sealer for water systems. i usually wait for a few hours after application to run the engine, so it has time to seal/harden enough not to swim around in the coolant lines. and plug the NEW THERMOSTAT... dont ask why i know that...:bang:.

the name of it is, Ultra Blue Sealer.

Advice... dont buy the big tube. if it is months between usage, the rest/balance of te tube will or better said, might harden in the waiting period. so, i end up waisting most of my purchase... if your doing lots of sealing, then the bigger tube. if just the thermostat housing, small tube.

Simple RTV is what I always use. There are some generics and a high temp version. I have used the high temp stuff to seal a chamber attached to an exhaust manifold, no problem. Good stuff.
Probably half the price of something called "Blue gasket sealer" and in the end it is the same thing. The tube I have has been around for 10 years plus. Looks like the day I bought it. I'm sure the Blue stuff is better know matter how many times you need to buy it.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks guys- I was thinking high temp silicone, but wanted input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom