Help! Oil/Lube leaking from passenger air vent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey team, I have a '98 100 Series 4.2 VX (200,000kms).
There's oil or fluid dripping into the passenger footwell from the air vent.
All fluid levels seem fine so I'm not losing heaps but I'd definitely like to locate the source of the problem.
No signs of leaks in the engine bay or under the vehicle overnight.
Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions on what might be causing this?

If it's coming out from behind the glove box and collecting in the passenger footwell it sounds like it might be the gasket in the condenser

Last edited:
Sure it is not condensation from the condenser (water)?

Definitely oily. Definately not water.

You almost definitely have a leak in the Condenser, if you hold a blacklight on the water that drips out of there you will probably see dye in it. Also, a big enough leak in the fins (not o-ring gasket) will leak greasy a fine mist of PAG/R134A in the vents. Take out the filer and inspect the condenser, It;s common for leaves and crap to sit in there long enough to eat through the condenser fins. Time for a new condenser, it sounds like to me. Not a really hard job if you can get a local shop to vacuum the system (to evac the R134A)- leak check (it may not show if there's goop in there)- you can change the part yourself with some simple tools and an 80 dollar condenser from PartsGeek or whatever. It's really quite easy, just search here, there's a TON of posts on doing that job.

Happy Wrenching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom