HELP!!! OIL LEAK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
finaly got my 79 40 back on the road 10 months from frame to finished. but i have a bad oil leak. its a 350 v8 and its leaking somewhere around the front pass side but only when the engine is under load. ive replaced the ballancer seal also sleved it and the fuel pump. dont think its comming from the oil pan or valve cover. getting oil on the rad hoses and frame any help!

Sounds weird. Check the oil hole on the right of the timing cover? I had a leak there once that splashed on the belts and sprayed oil all over. ???

Mech fuel pump?

Question ... The old motor mounts for use back in the 50's are the 2 bolt holes on the lower front of the block. Today they mostly go unused. ONE of those bolt holes passes into the block and to the push rod port for the fuel pump. Did you put a bolt in that hole to plug it?

Let us know what you find.
Rice

DINKELBERRY: what hole in the timming cover. CRUISERMAN: yes mech fuel pump. RICE: ill have to check im not shure if i have those holes, but it only seems to leak under load i would think that would leak all the time

All factory small blocks before '86 have the mounting holes and most after 86 still have them. Leaking under load simply means more blowby is getting past the rings and building pressure in the engine, especially if you happen to have a stuck or non existant PCV valve. Any small leak will be exagerated by the pressure being created. Not having a plug in the mounting hole would normally create only a small leak because the fuel push rod is sitting in the bore. Build pressure and oil will get past it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom