Help (!): No windows work (not switch related) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 LC 3FE. The dash was pulled to address some wiring issues for an after-market radio.

The windows were all working previously, but now none of the windows work. On the off-chance the switch was bad I replaced it with a new one from Switch Doctor, but still nothing.

Did I forget to connect something behind the dash? How to troubleshoot/resolve?

1) Key is in ignition on ACC or even with engine running. All lights, radio, etc work.

2) all fuses under the dash to the left of the steering wheel are in good condition, with the correct rating.

3) all relays seem to be working. Two were replaced to resolve issues with the A/C fan (the newer looking ones)

4) the power door lock switch works. Doors lock and unlock.

5) I see voltage on the wires, but unsure of pin-out, schematic (don't know how to read one), or what voltage I should see on each pin.I put a digital multi-meter on the white connector that goes to the door switch, with negative on the chassis. I'm not sure if the orientation in the picture is correct, but the observed volts with the key at the ACC position (or engine ON) are listed in this image.

6) I pulled the kick panel and have tried wiggling the wires that go to the door. Same for the wires in the door.

7) I've tested with the window lock button enabled and disabled.

Is there a wiring clip under the dash that completes a circuit which was missed?

2020-08-16_9-40-09.png

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried the window lock button on the switch panel? You didn't mention it in your troubleshooting steps. A lot of people have overlooked that in the past, and many more will overlook it in the future

Cheers

I ended up taking it to a shop that specializes in AC electrical issues and they diagnosed and fixed the problem.

The positive wire from the battery was not connected because it had disconnected from the back of the relay by the kick panel.

They soldered a bracket to hold it in place.

I ended up taking it to a shop that specializes in AC electrical issues and they diagnosed and fixed the problem.

The positive wire from the battery was not connected because it had disconnected from the back of the relay by the kick panel.

They soldered a bracket to hold it in place.

Glad you got it sorted. Electrical issues can be difficult to track down.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom