help needed with roof cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all,

i'm just replacing the gutters on my roof and have a couple of questions.

is the front edge of the roof supposed to have a slight curve upwards as mine has at present or should it be on the same flat plane as the other three sides?

my old gutters had some sort of strengthening channel.(i think above the seat mount point on the hard top). my new ccot gutters have not. do cruisers with a roll bar have this . i:e is it necessary if belts are bolted to hardtop??

also what are the options for headliner? i cannot store my cap under cover and it will be on it's edge so i dont think replacing the headliner with the same will be wise. has anyone got a waterproof solution that looks tidy from inside the truck

thanks for any help
roof cap 001.jpg
roof cap 002.jpg
roof cap 004.jpg

Not sure about the gap mine all look flush with a lip for rivoting to the metal gutter.
No to strengthening strip at least on later model roofs.
Seat belt do not attach to roof....side panel or rollbar only the roof would never hold a seat belt in an accident.

Mine does have a slight "bow" in the front.

Mine does have a slight "bow" in the front.

thanks skidplate. can anyone else chime in on the bow,before i rejoin my cap to the new gutter. would be good to get a few more opinions.

as far as the strengthening strip on my my 1983 bj40's gutter. i realise the seatbelt mount point is on the side panel. i can't think of any other reason for this strip other than to strengthen the general area around this point. my truck was built as a hardtop only. i'm wondering if those models with a roll bar with their belts attached to it did not require the strip. would be interested if anyone else has come across this strengthening.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

thanks all

also bumping the headlining issue- am i the only one whom has to store the cap outside and therfore think the regular stuff unsuitable? surely there are alternatives

Yes, the bow is supposed to be there. Be sure to use SEM's self-leveling 2K seam sealer when you put it back together. You'll need two kits. I also recommend using 3/16 rivets instead of the 1/8 rivets that some folks around here used.

thanks skidplate. can anyone else chime in on the bow,before i rejoin my cap to the new gutter. would be good to get a few more opinions.
as far as the strengthening strip on my my 1983 bj40's gutter. i realise the seatbelt mount point is on the side panel. i can't think of any other reason for this strip other than to strengthen the general area around this point. my truck was built as a hardtop only. i'm wondering if those models with a roll bar with their belts attached to it did not require the strip. would be interested if anyone else has come across this strengthening.:confused::confused::confused::confused:
thanks all
also bumping the headlining issue- am i the only one whom has to store the cap outside and therfore think the regular stuff unsuitable? surely there are alternatives

There is definitely supposed to be a bow there Rob (upwards as well as outwards):

Curved.jpg

And I also agree that the strengthening at that point on both sides is because of the seatbelt anchor points:

SeatbeltAnchor.jpg

AnchorReinforce.jpg

As far as the headlining is concerned, I don't think you should be leaving the roof outside on its side. And if you must do that ... then perhaps go with "no liner at all" (and perhaps just apply Gelcoat instead).

:beer:
Curved.jpg
SeatbeltAnchor.jpg
AnchorReinforce.jpg

My cap is bare fiberglass now, and has been exposed for about 3 years. I'm going to refurb it, and on the inside.. I plan on using ZOLATONE. It's durable as heck, water/weatherproof, and looks cool. They use it for steps, bedliner, etc..

Has to be sprayed, and if using HVLP, the tip is a specialized bigger tip, at least 2.5mm

Check them out at TCP Global or Google Images.

I plan to use the indoor/outdoor marine carpet on the headliner. It is similar to the liner in a canopy and does not mold. I have used it in boats and relining canopies. It is available at hardware stores and easily applied with spray adheasive, and a roller. Also good for sound deadening.

thanks for that guys- comprehensive as ever tom!-i wonder if toyota had different part numbers for the gutters on rollbar equiped trucks??

i fancy the marine carpet option for the headliner but doesn't seem commonly available here in england. will keep looking.

:beer::beer:

Someone on here just did their top interior with Line-X. It's waterproof and looks pretty cool. I'm redoing my top this summer and even though I can store mine inside, I think I'll go with Line-X too.

-i wonder if toyota had different part numbers for the gutters on rollbar equiped trucks??

I see just one part number for the gutter Rob: 63105-90302 (called MOULDING SUB-ASSY, ROOF DRIP)

But there are different part numbers for the "compete roof" (which supports your theory):

63100-90311 PANEL ASSY, ROOF ......... for mine/yours

and

63100-90801 PANEL ASSY, ROOF ..... for W/ROLL BAR

Whether you've got a foward facing rear seat (FFRS) apparently also affects the roof structure ... probably for a similar reason.

:cheers:

I see just one part number for the gutter Rob: 63105-90302 (called MOULDING SUB-ASSY, ROOF DRIP)

But there are different part numbers for the "compete roof" (which supports your theory):

63100-90311 PANEL ASSY, ROOF ......... for mine/yours

and

63100-90801 PANEL ASSY, ROOF ..... for W/ROLL BAR

Whether you've got a foward facing rear seat (FFRS) apparently also affects the roof structure ... probably for a similar reason.

:cheers:

good to know tom, and that sort of knowledge should be more widespread including the retailers of these gutters.

it's a shame the strengthening isn't put on as a matter of course or at least the unsuspecting buyer being made aware that they may be compromising the integrety of their seat belt mounts.

i suppose on the upside by replacing rotted gutters you are infact improving things. in my case i have a custom rollbar which does the job so not such an issue.

regards :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom