Help needed - water pump failure in Indianapolis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the water pump on my 85 BJ73 just went out about 300 miles from home on my way to GSMTR. Toyota says the nearest pump is in Portland Oregon. Any ideas/possibilities/thoughts. At this point my leading theory is to have spector overnight one here and stay the night.

If it's only a dribble past the seal, you can run the engine with unpressurized coolant no problem. It won't over heat.

Either dismantle the spring in the radiator cap so the coolant will free flow both ways to the overflow bottle, or if in a bind, just run the engine with the cap ajar (loose). The coolant will overflow out of the fill neck as it heats up though (making a mess)..

The leak has gotten pretty bad, it was hard to tell where precisely it was coming from. Wound up having SOR overnight one. Now that it's off it looks like it might just be the gasket, but at this point the water pump is already with the shipper. Ah well, at least I won't have to do it again. Thanks much for the advice gents, I'll keep the non pressure coolant thing in mind in the future.

Yup, we got her fixed and running good. Made it to Tennessee this evening in good shape for gsmtr tomorrow. Internet is sparse so a full write up will have to wait until next week. Thank you much everyone!

I've got a coolant leak not sure where it's originating. I checked all the hoses and hard to see but I'm thinking it's the gasket b/w the pump and block.

Everything was fine and a large leak developed all of a sudden.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!

IMG_2923.JPG

I've got a coolant leak not sure where it's originating. I checked all the hoses and hard to see but I'm thinking it's the gasket b/w the pump and block.

Everything was fine and a large leak developed all of a sudden.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!

View attachment 1496213

Ben-- Was finishing my email tonight to you.

Let's chat and get this addressed tomorrow as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom