Help needed - restoring my 67 Fj40 brake systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drewk

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Mud,
I am in the middle of restoring/replacing my brake system on my 67 and need to know if anyone has a source for the brass T’s. Or what everyone else is doing. (See pic below). I bought all new lines, and when I went to replace the old ones I am having a heck of a time removing the lines from the T’s.

Thanks in advance
Drew

DC985E53-0334-48F1-941B-D5AC224598A9.jpeg

Looks like your nuts on the flare are rounded. In the future what I do on the nuts is used a flare nut wrench with a visegrip clamped on tight to keep the flare nut wrench from spreading and rounding off the nut. Since I've started doing this have not rounded off a flare and all have come apart even if I had give the visegrip a snap with a hammer. Not a mechanic so not worth buying expensive specialty tools. My flare nut wrench are cheap ones I bought from Harbor Freight.

Chemicals and heat. Looks like that left nut is cross-threaded.

Heat, penetrating oil and patience! Since you are replacing all the lines then a set of vice grips is your friend...working out/in/out/out/in, etc until it's removed.

If you find you have some of those T's that are junk, I might have a few in my stash from my 67. I am redoing all the lines with m10 fittings but didn't toss any of the T's, etc.

They are very soft. Also impossible to get replacements for as they are 9-1.0mm which is a real weird size. I'm going though the same thing right now on my 65.

Your probably going to need to replace them with standard 10mm or imperial sized T's and tube nuts to replace some of the ones you can't save. This is what I'm doing.

Thanks for the info Guys, I will try some heat and hopefully that will help.

@S4Cruiser just sent you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom