x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I cant offer any help with the quite one, but I have IR 80 gallon from tractor supply.
It will do the job your looking for but ITS NOISEY.
What ever you choose, take your factory installed fittings out and put them back in with teflon tape.
Speakin from experience,:) and install an extension for your bottom tank drain.
Bobmo

There are recent threads here - but anyone will tell you go bigger than you ever expect to need. A couple decades ago I bought a 60 gallon 220V single phase single stage compressor. Back when my thing was woodworking - running nailers. Since I've moved onto my automotive obsession I am at the point where it's inadequate or at least marginal. Don't get me wrong it's never let me down and runs and runs and runs.

For the 40 lb (I think) sand blast cabinet it's marginal. For blasting a frame in the driveway it falls short. Having said all that I only paid $425 or so for it. It think that for your budget you can get an electric compressor to run an outdoor blaster no problem.

For example: Ingersoll Rand 7.5 HP 80 Gallon Two Stage Air Compressor at Tractor Supply Co.

IMHO the only reason to go gas is if you're going to run it away from Edison power. And I don't know what defines a "quiet" air compressor. I'm sure there are differences but unless you get into a really big industrial compressor I think they're all loud. Tho someone might come along to correct me.

I haven't heard much 'great' about the IR compressors. Some say downright garbage.

I have no experience - but nosing around a Speedaire with the same specs is twice the price. This is at Grainger where I bought mine 20 years ago. Makes you wonder.

Same comments apply from the last thread on the subject:

My two-stage 5hp 80-gallon Quincy cycles pretty frequently while sandblasting. As Nas says, it is a CFM hog. The other thing is having dry air for sandblasting. I run a refrigerated air dryer and metal hard lines (not just airhose) to condense as much water out as possible before the sandblaster.

I'll add that if you're only doing the one body, it will be cheaper to pay someone to sandblast it commercially than for you to buy the equipment to do it. A commercial sandblaster is going to have the equipment to do it in hours rather than weeks of your time.

One thing comes to mind: try and find one that has a good drain as in all the water comes out without having to do anything special like (in my case) tilt the thing around. On my cheapo one, I suspect that the weld for the bung or the flatness / construction of the bottom makes for water tending to stay put in the bottom of the tank. As suggested by the fact that I can empty the drain tube but if I tilt the tank, more water will come out. Not a good thing if you want to keep it for many years.

We are drifting into the weeds a little...But I hard pipe my tank drain with a ball valve close to the outlet, which is ran to the outside of my shop. Works great for a stationary compressor.

I've had 2 of the spring valves blow open. Luckily, I was in the shop when they let go and I don't leave the compressor on when I'm out.

I haven't heard much 'great' about the IR compressors. Some say downright garbage.
I have an IR 7.5hp 24cfm compressor. It's been fine for the past 20 years.

Even at 24 cfm, it will cycle when using my sandblast cabinet.

For "quiet", if I go electric, it will be mounted in my basement. My Craftsman almost requires ear plugs.
If it's an oil-less type compressor, they are very noisy when compared to a belt driven type.

The reason I am considering a gas powered compressor mounted on a trailer is so I don't have to blast near the house or shop. But also somewhat to not run it off electric; PGE does a wonderful job screwing us up here in the Sierra. VERY quick to jump tiers.
You might want to look into a used large trailer mounted compressor. When I had a boat trailer sand blasted, that's what the guy had running a siphon feed pot. You want a lot of CFM when sand/media blasting large stuff.

I have an IR 7.5hp 24cfm compressor. It's been fine for the past 20 years.

Everything I've seen lately says that IR isn't making them like they did twenty years ago - or even ten.

Everything I've seen lately says that IR isn't making them like they did twenty years ago - or even ten.
Well, that's unfortunate. Seems that most manufactures now design with built in obsolescence.

On the other hand, I've been really satisfied with my cheapo HF 29gal 'portable' compressor (belt driven). Quiet, tank holds air for months, decent price (think I paid $329+tax) with coupon or when on sale. Built-in regulator/gauges are cheap, but functional. It doesn't see heavy use. Mostly blowing up water toys, filling tires, running an occasional air nailer, blowing out my sprinkler system, etc., all at my lake house. Oh, and the HF hose reel (I got one for the lake) is pretty dang close in comparison to my more expensive Cox Reel at my main house.

When you do decide on a manufacturer/model, don't skimp on air hose. Or water separaters/regulators/fittings. I'm running the Amflo regs/seps and larger 3/8" air hose quick connect fittings on everything. Probably overkill, but I'm sorta OCD about 'things'.

I put my air compressor on the outside of my garage and built a little shed roof over it. If you can do that, it will help tremendously with the noise....

I had a 60 gallon single phase 220 from Tractor Supply. As all have said it cycled a lot with painting and more with cabinet blasting. It was super loud and right next to the blasting cabinet.
If you compare all those single phase 60 gallon compressors, they all look identical. I would not be surprised if all the components were made in the same factory and the difference is just the color of the paint on the tank.
A 60 or 80 likely won't sandblast a frame efficiently.
I have no experience with rotary compressors but have heard they are far more efficient. I know they are super quie and have a much longer life expectancy. But you will pay serious bucks for them.

Last edited:
There is an industrial "recycling" place near here that my employer sells old equipment to. They have quite a few small scroll compressors that are monsters for basically $1500. But of course they are 3 phase and 25 horse or so. So wish I had 3 phase power......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom