Help needed near Charlotte - Rear Seat Install in FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to a decent tax refund, I purchased a new Trailmax II Fold & Tumble rear seat (by Bestop) and a couple lap belts from Four Wheel Parts to install in my FJ40 so my two little :princess: can ride more safely. I am supposed to take delivery of the seat today.

While I don't think the installation will prove too difficult (Bestop estimates it would take 30 minutes if it were a simple replacement in a Jeep - Click HERE to view the installation instructions pdf) I'd prefer to have a second set of hands and eyes to help me and ensure the finished product is reasonably safe and reliable. Also, I'm not sure I own the necessary tools but think my mechanic neighbor might be willing to lend me what is needed.

Does anyone have any free time this weekend or next to lend a hand? I'm willing to drive up to an hour each way if necessary.:steer:

I've got a nice powerfull 1/2" drill with a good step bit if you need it. Or other tools. Time is another story for me lately, but stop by and grab it if it will help you. its a nice drill, has BALLS. Its also possible I could break free for a few hours, let me see closer to the weekend.

This weekend I can't David, i'll be pulling 12 hour days at work both days.:mad:

I'd much rather be helping you if it is any constalation.

Here's how CCOT installs their Trailmax IIs

Bench Seat Installation '65 - '78 FJ40 & BJ40

Where did you get yours? Did it come with seat belts? Did you look at the rear seat Lance sells at IPOR? I'm in the hunt for one myself.

I can give you a hand if you like, you'll have to drive down to Chesnee, SC though.

Stan

The UPS man bought the seat today! :beer:

I've got a nice powerfull 1/2" drill with a good step bit if you need it. Or other tools. Time is another story for me lately, but stop by and grab it if it will help you. its a nice drill, has BALLS. Its also possible I could break free for a few hours, let me see closer to the weekend.

Kyle, I'm pretty sure you live not far from me in the Steele Creek area. I could sure use that drill if I tackle it here at home. :hmm: My corded drill is about to give out after several marathon sessions of wire wheeling the chassis and skid plate.

Let me know how your weekend shapes up closer to time.

This weekend I can't David, i'll be pulling 12 hour days at work both days.:mad:

I'd much rather be helping you if it is any constalation.

Dude, I am sorry to hear of the schedule you keep. I don't know how you do it except you are still young. I'll let you know if I hold off until next weekend or perhaps one night next week.

Here's how CCOT installs their Trailmax IIs

Bench Seat Installation '65 - '78 FJ40 & BJ40

Where did you get yours? Did it come with seat belts? Did you look at the rear seat Lance sells at IPOR? I'm in the hunt for one myself.

Thanks for the CCOT installation link. I'd forgotten about that. Their price scared me off.

I ordered my seat, and two lap belts, from Four Wheel Parts after doing a lot of research. My wife and I decided having headrests was important and I wanted the fold and tumble for flexibility. Four Wheel Parts essentially matched the price of the seat I found on Amazon or Quadratec (cannot remember which had the better deal) including shipping to my door. :)

I can give you a hand if you like, you'll have to drive down to Chesnee, SC though.

Stan

Stan - I really appreciate the offer. With your talent, I'm sure the finished product would be exactly what I want but Google Maps estimated 1 hr 45 min or so door to door each way. :steer: Therefore, I'm going to give it serious consideration and will get back to you.

You want to just make plans to do it at my house? I can make time I am 99% sure.

Doesnt look like it should be hard at all. We can get it knocked out Sat or Sun monring if you want? Call Me. (704) 2 six four 535 six.

Edit..phone is dead...ha ha cant call me till this afternoon.

PM is good too.

Last edited:
Big thanks to Kyle for coming over earlier today to help. :) The drill really came in handy.

Unfortunately, we discovered that the front feet riser brackets that came with seat would require drilling multiple holes in the floor, something neither of us really wanted to do having seen CCOT shows the seat being mounted using the factory floor bolts. :frown:

I've emailed CCOT to see if they will sell me the front feet riser brackets they sell with their fold and tumble kit. In looking at the photo closely, it looks a lot like the 6" seat belt extension they sell for $6.50 was re purposed for the seat install.:hmm:

Once I have those, it won't take long to finish the job we started (more of a weeknight job).

Thanks again for all the offers of help. Hope to have it done by next weekend, assuming CCOT can ship it on Monday.

Next weekend I may actually be free to help.... yay me a day off:rolleyes:

Well, CCOT replied and they couldn't sell me the front feet riser brackets they sell as part of their fold and tumble kit as they have the hardware packaged with the seats, and I didn't need a seat.

When I asked if they could put me in touch with the outfit that makes and sells them the hardware or if they could send me photos and/or measurements of the riser legs so I could have some easily fabricated, I was told those were trade secrets. Can't say that I blame them.

The person did say, however, that the seat riser brackets are not the same as the seat belt extension brackets they sell (although they didn't specify what the difference was).

Any ideas as to who could fabricate what I need in or around Charlotte and what I should expect to spend?

Stan, is this something I could pay you to do if I sent you measurements?

Could you not just return it and get another one that works or get the IPOR one that is proven to work.

The front bracket on my TJ fold/tumble seat bolted to the 2 holes shown on CCOT's instruction. I just added one extra hole behind each, and that is the only holes I have in my bed. The rear portion of the seat has rubber feet that just rest on the floor. Not sure if this helps or not.

Oh, and I got it for free (whole seat). I still don't have any seat belts, but that will come. :)

The hardware that comes with it should mount into the existing body bolt. All CCOT did was create a bracket that only uses one bolt. Really don't see how that is any different that using the factory bracket and just not mounting the rear bolt. I personally would not mount this seat in with only 2 bolts on the front. I would drill the holes for the factory bracket and be done with it. CCOT's stuff looks sketchy to me.

Jeremy
seatfrontbracket.jpg

Al - Thanks for the suggestion but I really like the seat's width as compared to one IPOR sells and I really like that it has the headrests.

Belmont148 - Kyle and I tried to use the holes for the body mounts but they were set too far apart in my '77. Perhaps the placement is slightly different in your '71, allowing you to use them. I agree CCOT's package looks a bit un-sturdy but figuring it is hardened steel and you still use the anchor in the back where, I suspect it will hold up so long as two guys as big as me aren't in the seat. I wish I could have scored a seat like this for free.

I've decided to try and modify the seat belt extension brackets by CCOT I purchased for $15 to see if they will work. If not, I've resolved to go ahead and drill the four holes and use the Jeep hardware that came with the seat.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
David,

I am sure I can make what you need. I really have no clue what exactly you are looking for so drawings would be needed at the very least. Let me know what you want to do.

Stan

Sorry for the delayed reply. The CCOT brackets just arrived via USPS today.

HERE is a link to some photos I've taken thus far. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Here are the facts:
  • The distance between the two body mount bolts I'd hoped to utilize is 35 1/4"
  • The bar that runs through the bottom of the Bestop seat is 40" long and 1" in on each end is notched for a ring to mount and hold the seat in position.
  • The Bestop bracket is 6" in height
  • The Cool Cruiser bracket is 6 3/4" in height
  • When the Bestop brackets are mounted using the body mount bolts, due to their shape as shown in the photo (Left Bestop Mounting Bracket photo 2) the distance between the two brackets is > 40"
  • When the Cool Cruiser brackets are used, the distance between the two brackets is only 35". Even if they weren't the same but instead were mirrors of each other, they would still be too close together. :bang:

Given these facts, I suspect the best plan is to throw in the towel as far as trying to utilize the two body mount bolts. :meh: My cruiser isn't pristine and I just need to suck it up. Drilling the four holes and using the Bestop hardware is probably the best thing.

I'll probably take advantage of the nice weather tomorrow and knock this out.

Stan, I thought more about having something fabricated and while I'm sure you are more than capable, I don't think I could provide you what you'd need. It's been 24 years since my last mechanical drafting class (how did I get this old?).

I apologize if I missed this in a previous post, but why not fabricate an adapter bracket (plate) that bolts to your existing frame bolts. Then, bolt the Bestop brackets to that. Seems like Stan could make the adapter bracket/plate. Does this make sense? Then you don't have to cut extra holes in your floor.

No worries David, just lending a hand where I can. I draw pretty much eveything on CAD these days. I have a pretty good CAD system that I used when I was working as an architect. It is pretty handy when designing parts.

You might think about cutting yourself a backing plate for each bolt to help spread the load. I understand about not wanting to drill holes, some times you just have no choice.

Stan

David,

After looking at your photos, cool seat BTW, I cant see it being too hard to get that seat mounted in existing holes. The mounts you show are basic stuff, you do not have to drill new holes and after seeing how clean your rig is, I understand how you feel. Mine's an old heap so a couple holes wont matter.

You get it here and I'll help you mount it, wont take long at all.

Clint - thanks for the suggestion. I'd had a neighbor share the same thought but ultimately decided against it. (see my rationale below)

Stan - thanks for the offer. I considered driving down to see you but decided, in the end, not using the bolts from the body mounts meant four more holes. Just putting in the seat belts and rear mount was going to add four so I finally sucked it up and pulled out the pen and drill.

I've added some additional pics to Picassa. I hate to say it, but I wish I'd shelled out the extra $$$ for the CCOT package. I think using their set up would have kept me from drilling through bed cross brace. :doh:In my haste, I didn't think it all the way through and after drilling those holes, I was too far in to stop. A a neighbor and I pulled out a saws-all so as to cut a hole to get a ratchet into the cross brace and crank down on the bolt. It sure is an ugly cut (dull blade) and an angle grinder would have worked better, but we worked with what we had. If anyone things could lead to an untimely failure and it needs to be reinforced, please reach out to me.

The final product is great and appreciated by the :princess::princess:. Here is a picture to prove it.

Hopefully the four of us will make an ONSC event soon.
Girls in new seat.jpg

I need to install a rear seat as well. Did that seat come with seat belts? or did you get them separetly? I want to bring the family out to STR so need to purchase a rear seat. Based on your recent install would you recomend that seat?

DEL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom