Help Needed: Logistics and Aid for the Grand Junction Off-Road Aug 30-Sept 1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jonharis

Adventure Imports
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Epic Rides, A national mountain bike race will be hosting the Grand Junction Off-Road. This is a HUGE chance to be part of a nation wide off-road race, expo and weekend full of fun in general. Volunteers will receive swag and if Book Cliff Cruisers decides to take a big part of this, the club will receive some incredible visibility. Check out the site below. I will be posting more info as I receive it.

http://www.epicrides.com/index.php?contentCat=9

Would be interested in volunteering but have to work it anyhow with my day job. My shift has been adjusted to work it all 3 days.

All-
Please see the below email from Elisa with the GMJC and the Grand Junction Off-Road. This is a great opportunity to get out and volunteer and work with the mountain biking community. It would also provide great visibility for the club. If interested you can contact Elisa directly at elisa36251@gmail.com. Please let her know asap if you can attend.

Hi,

In two weeks, over Labor Day weekend, Grand Junction will be hosting a nationally-attended event showcasing our trails. Though it is primarily a mountain biking event, a large swath of downtown will be closed for the event, with vendors and concerts, and the route will take riders on a scenic route via some of our favorite Jeep roads. It's going to be a great weekend here in the Grand Valley!

Here's the event website: http://www.epicrides.com/index.php?contentCat=9

On Saturday and Sunday the race route takes riders up through the trails at the Lunch Loops, over Twist and Shout, Butterknife, and then either up Third Flats back to Little Park and down Andy's, or down to the Gunnison and over Windmill Road and back to Little Park via Tabagauche. For those of you who have driven this road (like I did yesterday) will admit this is a very challenging route!

The reason I'm writing is to see if any of you would be willing to volunteer to help set-up, take-down and shuttle volunteers to the two aid stations that are only accessible with 4-wheel drive?

We'll need help on Thursday (8/29) evening, possibly Friday (8/30), all day Saturday, and the first half of the day Sunday (9/1). The two aid stations are at the bottom of Third Flats where Butterknife bike trail comes out, just before you turn right and head down to the river, and the other is at the bottom of Rough Canyon where the hike trail takes off.

There is also a need to have some Course Marshall support along that far-end of Tabaguache and along Windmill road, in case riders get injured or run out of water, that kind of thing. I'm hoping to have some radios out that way, but I think there's a huge advantage to having our Jeeps out there.

I was asked to help with my Jeep, and because I'm in the Jeep Club they recruited me to invite y'all along as well. Also, I'm the announcer for the event! It's really going to be a lot of fun, and this would be great exposure for the club on a national level- plus a huge boon for the community and it won't hurt to bring attention to these area of trails and how vital they are for us to support. There's also the great camaraderie that can be built between the 4x4 and Mountain Bike communities!

Okay, if you're willing and able to volunteer, or if you know someone that is, just hit "reply" and I'll send you back maps and times we need filled!

Thank you thank you thank you so much, and I look forward to seeing you all out on the trails soon,

I'm in. Just emailed to see what they need. Should be able to get any of my rigs out there no problem depending what they need.

Very cool! Thanks for stepping up. Post some pics when you are done. Wish I could be there too.

Hey everyone. My name is Bill Cooper and I'm the Course Coordinator for the event (and fellow cruiser-head). First off, thank you for stepping up to help with the event. It really is gonna be a good one for the valley!

Just thought I would give a little conditions report for anyone planning to help with the event.

Last week's gully washer really did a number on the trails. Third-Flats Road saw a lot of down cutting and now requires some attention to get down. I made it down to the bluff just above the river (below butterknife/Aid #2) with my 60 that has a 2" OME lift and 31's but couldn't get the rest of the way due to erosion. If you do get down to the river bottom, there is a culvert that blew out and what remains of the road is barely wide enough for a full size truck to get through. The BLM might get down there to do some repairs, I'll report back if anything changes.

Tabeguache- Bangs is the same as always thanks to the slickrock. Rough canyon got a little rougher but didn't change much. I wouldn't try it in my truck, 33's minimum. Locker(s) would be nice from the looks of things.

The singletrack saw quite a bit of deposition, to the point of completely erasing the tread in a few spots on Andys and Butterknife. I will be trying to get out there this next week to do some repairs. If anyone wants to take some frustration and stress out by swinging a pick for a couple of hours after work, let me know.

That's about it. Thanks again for helping and let me know if you have anymore questions. I'll do my best to help.

Cheers,
Bill

I might be able to help here as it looks like my other plans are going away. Sent a pm to Bill.

The volunteer meeting is tonight from 5-6. Want me to email the volunteer coordinator? Last I heard on Sunday it is just my daughter and I at one aid station.

The volunteer meeting is tonight from 5-6. Want me to email the volunteer coordinator? Last I heard on Sunday it is just my daughter and I at one aid station.

I'm giving the guy I was going to run with until 6 this evening to answer my emails. If not heard from by then ill be willing to help. Stay tuned.

I suppose you can tell the coordinator I'm a pretty strong maybe.

Ok I'll let him know and get any details you might need.

I did not hear from him by six so I'm ready to help where I can but its got to be someplace that might actually require 4WD. I won't do it if anyone could drive their Caddy there. Besides "how to" ill need to know what radio frequencies they will be on for CB and HAM.

Thanks - Ace

If you want email biz@grandjunctionoffroadvolunteers.com and she will get you all the info you need. The aid stations are down either Third Flats road or at the bottom of Rough Canyon at the parking lot for the hike trail. Im not sure about the radio stuff. They are going to have specific people handling that. Mostly its going to be the usual stuff like handing out water and food.

OK, sent an email just now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom