Help needed! Can't get the new CV axle back in. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got my LC torn apart in the driveway. I had no trouble removing the old aftermarket driver's side CV and have replaced the upper control arm with an SPC. I did not release the lower ball joint.

What I can't do is get the new oem shaft back in. I've got it seated in the differential but can't find a way to flex it and get it back into the hub. Fully compressed, it's a bit longer than the aftermarket shaft.

Any ideas? Am I stuck trying to find a puller to get the lower ball joint disconnected tomorrow? I used the hammer method to release the upper ball joint but I don't think that will work for the lower.

Thanks for any help.
Chris

That's good to know since the guide in the FAQ that I used has it go back together inboard end first. I'll try it in the morning. Way too tired to go back out.

Chris

That's good to know since the guide in the FAQ that I used has it go back together inboard end first. I'll try it in the morning. Way too tired to go back out.

Chris
Also - if you need more room to get the outboard end inserted, unbolt the sway bar links from the mounts on both of the LCAs and swing the bar out of the way, secure with a zip tie. That will give you more room.

AND... put a folded up shop towel on top of the LCA before you try to maneuver the axle into place, to protect the boots. You don't want to cut a boot.

I have replaced mine by doing the inside first. I tried doing the outboard but there was not enough play... but to each their own!

What I will say is the fastest way is to release the lower ball joint. It will give you more than enough play... well less than removing the whole assembly but you can still do it in your driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom