Help Needed ASAP: 1984 BJ60 Glow Plug Wiring/Grounding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I recently did a head replacement on my 1984 Bj60. I finally got the thing all back together but cannot seem to figure out the glow plug wiring.
The 'new' head is from a 1978 B engine and there is one difference from the original 3B head that I cannot seem to figure out how to deal with. Please note that I am probably totally wiring things wrong so any help is GREATLY appreciated. Please note the glow system is a Wilson Switch.

The original 3B Head has a threaded post coming out of the cylinder head near the back of the glow system. The contacts for the glow system are attached here. I figure this also acts as some sort of ground point as well, but I may be wrong on this.

The B head I have now does not have this, so to work around this difference I have tried to use a bolt to press the glow system contacts together along with a battery cable I had laying around to ground the system to a different part of the head. I think this is where my problems lie as I just burned a fusible link in a blaze of glory.

Additionally, I just don't how to wire the other parts of the system and have tried a couple different things to no avail.

Currently the wiring looks like this: (notice the black wires going to two different posts)

But I also had it looking like this earlier: (Notice the black wires going to the same post)

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing and it's very likely that my idea to ground the contacts using a battery cable was really, really dumb.

Any help is appreciated and I'm in a bit of a time crunch on getting this rig back up so I would be VERY grateful to the person that helps me figure this thing out.

Cheers and a million thanks,
-Garrett

UPDATE: I think grounding the system IS A REALLY BAD IDEA. The PO did not color code any of the wiring and I am grounding a lead form the posi terminal/relay to the head.....

I am an idiot. Please stand by to see how much wiring i fried....

This is the diagram of my BJ40.
I can't remember the Fuze AMP right now, I can check later.

Last edited:
Glow plugs do ground themselves to the engine on their thread

@gerg is on it.. the glow plugs ground through the engine.. all you need is your big fat wire from your wilson switch direct to the glow plug rail.. nothing else.

Duncarnm is spot on, just be sure to completely disconnect all previous glow system wires. Your heavy wire is impressive but might be larger then needed. I usually use an 8ga.

Thanks a ton guys! The truck is up and running again. I'm curious to see how all of your Wilson switch systems are set up. It's possible the PO did something a little different as there is definitely some wiring madness going on here.

Unfortunately most of the wiring in my truck has been monkeyed with by at least one of several previous owners. It's been a real headache trying to bring everything back to optimum function...

Thank you all for the timely help!

-Garrett

I ran a 10ga wire from positive battery to a heavy momentary button in dash. 10ga wire from button to glow bar. That's it.

Putting an inline fues immediately off of the battery positive would add a large safety factor. I'm guessing something like a 40 amp? Not sure exactly how many amps these things draw normally. Perhaps some one could chime in on that.

Putting a relay in the circuit would also be good but ive never needed it.

I glow my plugs for 10 seconds and then add a bit every few seconds after start up as needed.

Its not pretty.. but here's my high current wire to the glows.. straight to number 6 glow plug, the rail runs down the other of course, no other linkages etc.. this is not a Wilson Switch, original HJ47 glow (turn key backwards) with a lot of the rubbish removed.

Also this was a useful thread, I wiped this down before taking the photo and the wire came out of the crimp (wasn't my work).. that could have caused an issue on an upcoming trip.. will recrimp it..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom