Help needed after 12ht Gturbo swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently swapped the 2H in my 55 for a 12ht and figured I may as well go all out and strap a Gturbo to it. The motor had a full rebuild (pump, injectors, etc) 55000klms ago and drove like a dream when I motored home in the HJ61 it came in.

After bolting up the Gturbo and installing it in my FJ55 I got it running however when idling the motor shakes notably more than before. When I bought it, it idled so smooth you could balance a bottle on the rocker cover.... all in all the few times driving around the block have been OK but not nearly as smooth or impressive as I'd though it'd be.
Also as wankerish as it sounds I can hardly hear the turbo spooling up under load and it takes a considerably long time to boost up to even 12-15 Psi. (unfortunately I don't have a tacho so unsure of RPM but would be well above 2000rpm). Given what I've read about the Gturbo's performance it doesn't seem normal.

Is it possible I still have air in the fuel system and its causing this?
I could be premature in even asking all this as I'm yet to finish the exhaust, plumb the PCV back into the intake and have it properly tuned. Could any of these also be contributing factors??

Thanks,
Dan

Sounds like it's sucking air in somewhere if it shaking at idle.

Thanks Oz, tried a new priming pump this afternoon with no luck. Am going to replace the return line from the rail to the pump this weekend as its only held on with finger clamps and slides around quite easily.
When I ran it again this arvo it definitely sounds like its missing at lower RPM. Can that also be a result of sucking in air or is it more likely to be a valve or injector issue??

As another note I found that the injector seal on cylinder #1 has a slight split in it but doesn't seem to leak...could this also be an issue?

first run a clear line from a suitable diesel container right to the IP .. ( clean fresh diesel ) then bleed at the filter and injectors engine running ..

Well just thought I’d post up my results on what happened with this in case it helps anybody...
Took it to a diesel mechanic in the end who gave it a tune (fuel ratios etc, adjusted idle). Certainly runs heaps better, boosts to 18psi quite quick, and also idles a lot better but still shakes a little (is a diesel I suppose). He did explain to me the governor in the pump is likely worn which could contribute to that. He was adamant the pump had never been touched after I told him it was supposedly rebuilt...
Also thanks Oz & Tapage for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom