HELP!!! Need more muscle for trans install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RodrigzCrzr

SILVER Star
Threads
Help!
I’m calling for help is there anyone in SoCal Venice Culver City Area willing to come help me stab my trans into my 40?
I’m am 1/2 inch away and she won’t budge.
Could really use some help.
I have been at it for two days now.
Gf tried but hurt herself.

Last edited:
Does your 40 have a full cage? If so you could rig a strap over the top side bars and under the trans to support the weight and adjust the height. That is how I got mine in.

DSC00760.JPG

Last edited:
Does your 40 have a full cage? If so you could rig a strap over the top side bars and under the trans to support the weight and adjust the height. That is how I got mine in.

View attachment 3339243
No it doesn’t!
I have guide pins on each hole. It worked last time I used them this time it is being very stubborn.
Just can’t get pass it settling in. I’m trying everything. I have remove the trans to reset I have dropped the rear of engine.

If t won’t budge, there is something stopping it. 1/2 inch perhaps the pilot bearing? I removed the black cover at the back of the transfer case and rotated the shaft by hand, a little bit back and forth, while pushing in, and the gearbox slid home. You have to put it in gear, any gear, and it rotates the input shaft from the back of the transfer.

9E2FEC3C-61FF-493C-943E-650B55B14C8E.jpeg

If t won’t budge, there is something stopping it. 1/2 inch perhaps the pilot bearing? I removed the black cover at the back of the transfer case and rotated the shaft by hand, a little bit back and forth, while pushing in, and the gearbox slid home. You have to put it in gear, any gear, and it rotates the input shaft from the back of the transfer.

View attachment 3339247
I have done that as well. :bang:I put it into gear and tried doing that. I have spun the fly wheel too. I’m pulling my hairs out.:(:censor:

When I first got this transmission rebuilt from George at Valley hybrids. The installation went well on the F engine. Now it’s fighting me with a 2F in it. The 40 is probably upset I put a 2f in it.
Being it spun a bearing on the F engine.
🤨

It sounds like the disc isn't aligned with the pilot bearing. All but a 1/2" would indicate the input shaft has gone thru the disc.

It sounds like the disc isn't aligned with the pilot bearing. All but a 1/2" would indicate the input shaft has gone thru the disc.
I aligned it prior with a clutch alignment tool.
Tool slid in the disc and pilot bearing easy then tighten down the pressure plate.

Try a rolling floor jack under trans to lift trans into place worked for me. BTW it's a bear to fight with! I think it was the hardest thing to deal with on the LC (stabbing the trans into PP and pilot bearing)-it sucks
I have it.
It really does. Few times it was a little tough but it went in.
This time not so much.

Push the clutch pedal in!!! It will allow a little wiggle room and should go right in!!

^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

Your alignment is most likely slightly off.

Is the face of the transmission exactly parallel with the bellhousing, I guess it must be, for it to be inserted so far, but have to ask.

That last little bit could be the pilot bearing or the two alignment dowels on the bell housing. Did you pre-fit the pilot bearing onto the trans input shaft before putting in the pilot bearing? Mine wouldn't go on and I had to polish up the shaft end with some emery cloth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom