HELP: need a cruiser tranny shop in Winnipeg (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I was in the process of driving my truck from Vancouver to Toronto and suffered a catastrophic transmission failure outside of Winnipeg
icon9.gif
. Can anyone recommend a good shop? Also, can tranny shops order BJ42 parts from Toyota (do Toyota dealers even know how to fix 25 yr old trucks?) or should I be looking for them? Secondly, is it worth upgrading to a 5 speed while I am at it....it was on my future wish list. How much extra work is involved?

I know there are a lot of questions here, so I will thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and answer my thread.

ps..what is the cost I am looking at for fixing this?

Hello Denis,

What happened to your tranny?

I dont know much of where to take your tranny to be fixed or anything like it, as I dont live in the area, however, I have just posted an H41 gearset for sale for B series Land Cruiser if you are interested. Check it out at the for sale - personal classifieds if it helps.

regards

Thanks for the response. I was just driving at around 105km/hr when it just blew up. I cannot really tell by looking at it what exactly the problem is but after I coasted to a stop if I put it in first gear, then the truck would move at less then walking speed. All the shops I called in Winnipeg say they can't find parts so it looks like I will have to get one shipped from Vancouver.

Check the transfer case... usually that is the weak link in the LC!

Denis, try and see what Wayne has in Calgary, maybe Steve in Coquitlam has something too. If you want a 5 speed this is the time. I can't imagine what might have gone south on it since a manual tranny is pretty basic stuff.

Thanks! i've been speaking to Steve and he also said this is the time to upgrade to a 5 speed. The ironic thing is I just left his shop last Monday and Calgary on Saturday. I drained both the transmission and transfer case and got about 2.5 litres of oil out of the transmission and approx. 1 litre of oil out of the transfer case. No big pieces of metal in either one.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce,Denis's BJ42 was towed to my shop this afternoon,from talking to him on the phone,he was sure it was the tranny that broke,l have a couple of 4 speeds and couple of H55 sitting on the floor,it would have been a quick fix,got the engine running,sounds like it runs on two and a half cylinders,knocking,l think the precup felloff the head.
l will pull the head tomorrow and find out what went wrong.
Anybody has a 3B or 13B-T for sale?
Simon
is there a place that l can introduce myself?Bio?

Yup..my diagnostic skills need to be desired. Like Simon said, I was pretty sure it was the tranny. Afterall, the truck still ran (somewhat) after the "grenade" went off. Now I will be getting the complete engine done with either a newer 3B or maybe even a 13Bt. Anyone have a good 13Bt for sale? Thanks

Did you hear knocking before the "grenade went off"? When I lost a pre-cup 5-6 years ago I was hearing a very pronounced knock for probably 20-30 miles but I didn't know what it was and there was no where to stop. It got to the point where it was too loud for me to ignore and I stopped on the side of the road and then the engine just quit while it was idling. It was locked right up and would not turn over at all.

Get the 13B-T if you have the option.

I did hear a couple of strange noises on the coquihala but at the time I was thinking maybe I was pushing it a little too hard. Once I got on to flat prairies...it purred along quite nicely. The strange thing I did notice though was the terrible fuel milage. Twice I put in over 60-65 litres of diesel and all I got was approx. 400-420 km. What is normal for a 3b?

Hi,took Denis engine apart yesterday,the camshaft broke in half between #2 and #3 cylinder,the cam bearings are worn,the rear half of the cam is still in the block,having trouble getting it out.
Anybody know what can cause the cam to snap in half?
The precups are fine.

Just a guess but is it possible that the oil galleries to the rear cam bearings got plugged, the rear bearing seized and the cam snapped? I've never heard of that happening.

Lucky me I guess. First case of a snapped camshaft that either Simon or Steve at EBI has heard of. 2 wrecked cars in 2 weeks...anyone wanna go halfers on the 6-49?

Hi Denis,l will put $3 down.

Yup..my diagnostic skills need to be desired. Like Simon said, I was pretty sure it was the tranny. Afterall, the truck still ran (somewhat) after the "grenade" went off. Now I will be getting the complete engine done with either a newer 3B or maybe even a 13Bt. Anyone have a good 13Bt for sale? Thanks

Don'T know if you find anything,

But tis guy has a 3B with tranny from a BJ60 for sale, north of montreal
http://www.lespac.com/search/detail...&etat=0&no_region_de=0&no_region_a=&no_region=

Thanks guys! After a little consultation with the landcruiser gods, I decided to go with a completely new rebuilt 3b. I figure i'm into it for a long time now so I should have an engine that will last.

ummm, i would look at a 13BT before rebuiling a 3B. you will be into that engien for close to $6000 including R&R and G&S might have a decent unit sitting there or you can try Dan at 4wheel.
just a suggestion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom