Help name part that is broken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, just broke this part trying to change a hose. The spigot rusted and just snapped. It is the brass one that had the jagged end.

image-561501648.jpg

image-561501648.jpg

85 4runner and yes it's next to thermostat housing.

Here are a few more pics to clarify where and what it is.

image-2197672289.jpg

image-324834245.jpg

Good thing it broke when pulling hose off as what ever this thing is, is totally clogged with rust and such.

If anyone knows a part number please post us as the dealership has already given me the wrong part. They gave me a hose union for an 89 this part is threaded and cant be used. I need one for an 85.

image-2197672289.jpg

image-324834245.jpg

That same part broke on my '85 and I used a fitting that's normally used to extend the diff breathers. Part number is 90404-51319.

That same part broke on my '85 and I used a fitting that's normally used to extend the diff breathers. Part number is 90404-51319.

That is the same part they gave me. The union that came out is called a push union I believe. I don't believe I can thread a union in to that hole.

I just looked on my engine, it supplies coolant to the aux air valve, older 22RE with angled throttle body, or the idle air valve, later 22REs with the straight throttle body. The elbow is threaded into the boss next to the thermostat housing, it should have a hose connected to it to supply coolant to the throttle body and then to the aux air valve or idle air control valve, which ever you may have. You may be able to use an easy-out to extract it. I personally would try and find a brass fitting that will fit the threads in the boss, as I doubt the stealership will be able to get it.

Mine is not threaded. Mine is what's called a push style hose union.

From what I can tell it changed in 86 or 87 to the threaded style. I have a threaded style union I picked up from the dealership.

How hard would it be to use a tap and die and cut the threads so that the threaded union could be used? What I have to pull the entire lower manifold off in order to tap it?

packetstormin said:
Mine is not threaded. Mine is what's called a push style hose union.

From what I can tell it changed in 86 or 87 to the threaded style. I have a threaded style union I picked up from the dealership.

How hard would it be to use a tap and die and cut the threads so that the threaded union could be used? What I have to pull the entire lower manifold off in order to tap it?

I can't see why you can't, find out the thread diameter and pitch. I would not do it while the manifold is installed you may get metal shavings in water pump

I believe you are correct that your older intake is not threaded for that fitting, it's pressed in. The EPD shows that nipple only available as a separate part on the later lower intakes.

As I see it, you have 2 choices:

* Pull your intake all apart, drill and tap that hole for the part you have. It is very likely a metric BPT thread, so taps will be hard to find. But, it is >very< close to 1/8" NPT, which you can buy at any hardware store. The manifold is soft aluminum, so it should easily deform to the slightly different threads of the nipple when you wrench it in (put teflon tape on it). Then re-assemble and hope it doesn't leak.

* Pull your intake all apart, buy another lower one on eBay, they are listed on there all the time. Here's one with that nipple still attached and even the little hose:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-84-85-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac2686cf5&vxp=mtr

Me? I'd try option #1 first, see how the tapping goes. If it doesn't look good, I'd go with #2.

What is I put grease on the tap, would that catch all the shavings?

Hmmm... well you will need to at least get the upper plenum out of the way. If you remove that top hose neck and the thermostat, you can probably get a rag under the hole where the cuttings will fall, so you should be able to catch most of them. A greased tap will also help. Then I would use a small hose on a shop vac to suck out anything else.

I used to run a TEFBA coolant filter on my top radiator hose, you'd be surprised at the amount of crap that is floating around in a cooling system. Even the water pump can deal with lots of crud, the tolerances are not that tight.

Upper plenum is off so it should make it easier. I will give it a go with a tap and report back.

I wonder if I pull the thermostat out if I could get a shop towel in the thermostat housing where the hole is. Maybe that would stop some shavings falling in as well.

Next question would be is Teflon tape better or maybe a thread or pipe sealant on the new union?

packetstormin said:
Upper plenum is off so it should make it easier. I will give it a go with a tap and report back.

I wonder if I pull the thermostat out if I could get a shop towel in the thermostat housing where the hole is. Maybe that would stop some shavings falling in as well.

Next question would be is Teflon tape better or maybe a thread or pipe sealant on the new union?

I'm pretty sure I have a spar manifold that uses the threaded elbow, hell I bet the nipple is still attached, let me know if you are interested, $20.00 shipped will get it to you from NC. PM me if you are interested.

So here she is all tapped in

image-3876657875.jpg

I will put the intake manifold back on tomorrow and will post up whether this worked or not.

image-3876657875.jpg

So I just wanted to confirm in fact that drilling and tapping did work.

Here are pictures of the drill and tap I used incase anyone needs to do this in the future.

image-336231126.jpg

image-336231126.jpg

image-2502744669.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom