Help? Myrtle Beach area...mechanic needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys and gals..well I'm here at the beach after driving 480 miles in the cruiser - first road trip. Once I got here I started hearing a dragging/grinding sound from the right front wheel. I did have that caliper and brakes done at the same time last November. Anyone has any idea what that song could be?

Also does anyone know of a shop in the SC, Myrtle beach area that I can take it too and have it checed out?

TIA

Btw..cruiser has 168k miles

It is the right rear brake that is worn and it seems to have started cutting into the rotor. Should I try and get this repaired right away or could I limp back home 480 miles away.:confused: Hate to have to take it to the Stealer...what you guys think?

It may be blaphsemy, but I would limp back home if it is mostly through-fare. The rear is used less than the front. If you have a lot of stops then consider losing a day and having it repaired. The damage is done so new rotors are required.

My 2c.

-B-

depending of your time situation and tools on hand I'd go buy a cheap set of pads and toss them in as to not damage the rotor any more.

My first trip with my truck had me doing just this at a rest area somewhere west of the mississsippi.

Beowulf said:
It may be blaphsemy, but I would limp back home if it is mostly through-fare. The rear is used less than the front. If you have a lot of stops then consider losing a day and having it repaired. The damage is done so new rotors are required.

My 2c.

-B-

That's what me thinks...but u know I'm with wifey and its blah blah blah....I'll see how it goes next couple days...

landtank said:
depending of your time situation and tools on hand I'd go buy a cheap set of pads and toss them in as to not damage the rotor any more.

My first trip with my truck had me doing just this at a rest area somewhere west of the mississsippi.

zippo..nada..no tools on hand...I'll see how it goes next couple days..if the noise increase I'll check with stealer..price dependent.. I may switche it out..

Slap a new set of pads in the rear if you are really worried. All you really need is the lug wrench, factory jack, and one wrench to take the caliper off. You can have it done in an hour. For only 500 miles or so I would just limp home and replace the pads and rotors when u get there. If you are coming back through charleston I can give you a hand. PM me and I can give you my number if you need it and I will be more than happy to help you out if you are coming through.

The rear pads are simple. You don't really have to seek out an expert for this one. Even the monkeys at Pep Boys could handle it.

:beer:
Rookie2

You're traveling. Cheap is relative. It sounds like you are likely a :banana:. No offense, but putting it into perspective. It sounds like field repairs are a bit daunting for you right now.

Stop into a Midas or Muffler Shop, Sears or the like, resist the pressure to buy anything else, and just have them replace the pads all around for $100. Then get it home and pull the rotor, replace or resurface as appropriate, etc... In this scenario the pads you put on that corner should be considered throw aways.

JMHO

Grench said:
You're traveling. Cheap is relative. It sounds like you are likely a :banana:. No offense, but putting it into perspective. It sounds like field repairs are a bit daunting for you right now.

Stop into a Midas or Muffler Shop, Sears or the like, resist the pressure to buy anything else, and just have them replace the pads all around for $100. Then get it home and pull the rotor, replace or resurface as appropriate, etc... In this scenario the pads you put on that corner should be considered throw aways.

JMHO

Thanks to all who responded with there advice and offers of help.

Yes sir, with the truck I'm a zero banana.:D The only thing I've done myself is to change the speakers. Now with my pcar I'm probably a 4 banana;) on a scale of 1 to 5.

Well tomorrow I go by Napa and pickup some pads and then I will take the truck into to an independent that was recommended by the front desk called Harrys.

Thanks again!

Got it taken care of....

Pads cost $43 bucks and labor was $40 to slap then on...pretty painless...:D

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom