Help! My LC won't quit beeping! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok Gents need to see if anyone has come across this issue, and if so, what I have in store...

The truck is a 2001 LC w/ 170K on it....

While driving on the highway yesterday about 60mph I experienced a weird issue.

The ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and Brake lights on the dash all illuminated and a constant beeping noise came from the dash. This lasted only about 10 seconds, then the beep & all lights turned off.

While this was going on, the truck behaved normally, RPMs remained constant, and acceleration was not effected (i.e. not limp mode).

The truck sat in the driveway overnight and then this morning when I go to move the care, as soon as I turn it on (acc or engine start) It experiences the same issue...the four lights & the beeping noise....only it does not stop after a short period of time.

I have not tried driving it yet, I thought I would do a search first, but didn't come up w/anything. So far I have let it beep at me for about 1 min, without it quitting.

My drive way is on a slight (maybe 5°) incline, but obviously in both the highway & driveway case, there is no reason for the VSC TRAC to engage...

Also, I have had the truck engage "Limp mode" in the past, maybe 3 times...each time turning the truck off, and restarting has corrected the issue...and I don't recall a beep when that happened previously.

Any experience w/this? Any ideas other than trying to pull the codes?

Thanks,

Ryan

Sounds like one of your coil pacls has gone bad.

Hhmmm...Ok...thanks for the info. Wouldn't I notice a miss or shouldn't the engine run rough if that was the case.

Also, seems like this would trigger a "Check Engine" light...not a bunch of stuff associated w/the Traction Control...

Yotato,

Actually...the brakes do feel "spongy"...but again, I just pressed them in the driveway...I may try a trip around the block in a bit.

What does the difference in brake-feel indicate?...limp mode?

Thanks

Pull the code.

Wouldn't hurt to check the brake fluid level. Other vehicles I've owned in the past would curse at you if the brake fluid level dropped below a safe point in the resovior.

I would think if all the dash lights blinked, that Id check the alternator... make sure its throwing teh charge out right!! but I am new to 100's

@Bamachem: Brake fluid resivour shows just below Max

@Dwnundr: All lights are not flashing...just 4 lights light up and are solid...those lights are: ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, BRAKE

Thanks,

-R

Just thought I would check with the board before renting the "code puller"...if it actually cost money to rent one I would just buy one...but since it is free, I keep going back....

@Bamachem: Brake fluid resivour shows just below Max

@Dwnundr: All lights are not flashing...just 4 lights light up and are solid...those lights are: ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, BRAKE

Thanks,

-R

Oh well... I would look up the closest Autozone and go pull the codes to see if there's anything the ECM is logging for the upset condition.

@All...headed to O'Rielly now to pick up the ODBII

FYI, I took it for a spin around the block & it is definatly NOT the limp mode symptoms....full throttle response. However, breaks are VERY spongy and I have to put them to the floor to stop from even a nominal speed....leaning towards ABS component....

@RobRed: Thanks for the info...at this point I won't rule it out, but I am getting indicator lights on the dash...the post you referenced seemed to state that there were no other symptoms than the buzzer noise...I get 4 indicator lights listed above on top of the buzzer...

Thanks all, codes to come shortly...

Sounds odd. Maybe the power brake booster? Is the pedal overly firm and you have to apply a large force to get it to stop or is it overly non-responsive, causing you to have to push it down further, but without much more overall force?

Master cylinder..... It is warning you that it is about to fail. You need to read threads on here about replacing the master cylinder.

This happened on my brothers 98 LC and it only warns you a couple times... then no brakes.:doh:

At least, that is what it sounds like to me.

edit: talked to my brother... this is exactly what happened to his. After the first time, he put it in the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong and no codes. He did say the master cylinder on the 100 series is exponentially higher priced than you can imagine. Good luck. I have a 2001 as well and have not had this issue. Mine just has 145k on it.

Last edited:
Sounds exactly like a speed sensor to me.

Ok....

Got the code reader from the parts store & no joy...it does not detect any DTCs & an erase of DTCs does not change the behavior.

The code reader I rented is an Innova 3120LaT, and has "enhanced codes", but when I go an try to look @ the ABS Codes, it only offers Ford, Chevy, etc...not Toy/Lex

I think we are narrowing it down. I am positive it is not the "Limp Mode" issue, as each time I experienced that I at least got a "P-Code"...

@RMPIPE: How do you tell If/which speed sensor is the problem, or if they have gone bad?

@All: does anyone have the TSM procedure related to speed sensors?

@Copenhagen1: That is horrifying...I can't believe they would put in a system to "alert" you to this, but provide no feedback as to what the problem is....Also, can you check w/your brother and see if when this happened to him, he had the dash lights come on as well as the beep?...

Thanks,

-R

I had this happen on my RX all those various brake abs related lights and it was the brake light pedal switch. Lexus was well aware when I drove in with it. Considering these probably share some parts i would check that before anythng more expensive.

I'd check the brake master cylinder. In my car, after pumping my brakes multiple times, the master cylinder would lose pressure and beep at me for about 8 seconds as the pump worked hard to get back to normal pressures. Any of you can try this-sit in your driveway parked and pump the brakes full on to full off maybe 6/7 times until it starts beeping. The ABS and brake? (I don't quite remember) lights will come on, then stop after the pressure has returned to normal.

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR UNTIL YOU HAVE CHECKED YOUR MASTER CYLINDER.

Losing all brake pressure is not fun in any way, shape, or form when you're driving a car weighing over 3 tons.

Ok...So now we have 3 catidates...

1) Brake Master

2) Speed Sensor

3) Brake Light Pedal Switch

1) How do you propose I "Check" the Master cylinder? Fluid is good...Beeping begins emeadiatly upon turning the key...no pedal pumping required...The beep continues whethre I pump the preasure up or not...constatnt beep.

2) What does the TSM say about checking the speed sensors? Is there a way to identify which one, or how many might be bad?

3) @rrdx, when you experienced this issue, did you brakes go limp? or did you have normal brake pressure when you drove it to the dealer? Also, I know you saw those lights, but where you getting the buzzing noise as well?

Thanks

-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom