Help me wire my my 1HZ into my Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm putting a 1HZ H55f combo into my 1979 FJ40. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, but hoping that the wise folk on this site can help me wire up the alternator and tach.

Alternator
I'm going from the externally regulated 2f alternator to the internally regulated 1HZ alternator (3 Pin, round connector).

Wiring is like this:

At alternator
Ring terminal (B+) White with Blue stripe
Black connector White with green stripe and white with black stripe
These run back (maybe 100mm) to a connector which is the same, but the white back has 2 whites into the same terminal.

At voltage regulator
Loom Connector Voltage regulator
White Black Connector White Black
White Green Connector White Green
Black Yellow Connector White Red
Blue not connected.

How should the internally regulated 1HZ alt be wired into all of this? (I know i can lose the VR).

Injector Pump Wiring

The injector pump has a 3 pin connector handling the cutoff and the tach. Green to the fuel cutoff (easy) and 2 blue for the tach. Can the tach pickup be wired to a standard tach (i.e. one with selectable cylinder count?

Does anyone have a part number for the 3 pin connector? (assuming is available).

Thanks all!

2014-10-06 17.26.45.jpg
Here's the connector on the pump.

I'm hoping you figured this out by now. I am in the process of wiring my alternator too. I did figure out the pump. Essentially one wire runs the fuel cutoff solenoid and the other two are for a tach signal.

I'll post up (for others hopefully) when I figure out the alternator.

K

So i got the figured out with some searching, head scratching and googling. Writing up so others can find it if they need it.

(The 1HZ alt has B+, S, IG and L connections, and is internally regulated.

The voltage reg at the firewall can be removed, and the Black-yellow connected to the White-Green (Ignition switched 12v). This then goes to the IG connection on the new alt. The white-black wires are grounds and can be grounded on the Alt case or somewhere else.

The White-blue goes to B+ on the new alt.

The 1HZ alt also has a 'sence' connection (S) - this needs to go directly to +ve on the battery through a 7.5A fuse.

The L connection is for a charge warning light - not needed but handy.

:beer:

Thanks for the write up! Did you ever find the connector part numbers? I'm going through the same process swapping a 2H for 1HZ.

The connector you seek is Toyota 90980-11157 (Sumitomo 6187-3901). Like half the electrical connectors on a Toyota, it is part of a wire harness assembly and generally not available separately. You might try amayama.com

Last edited:
connector for the IP:
1x 90980-11157 male side (harness side)
3x 82998-12440 pigtails

they are hard to find. Stedman at Japan4x4 found them for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom