Help me remove the sleigh bells from my truck... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got back from a 4100 mile journey and the truck has 217k miles on it now.

Before i left i would get a slight thin metal twanging sound pretty consistently at any speed over 20mph. That sound is now much more pronounced and sounds...like sleigh bells once every 5-10 seconds. Hard to pinpoint if its the front or the back. I can get a video up today as well, just wondering if anyone had encountered this.

Fresh rear driveshaft
fresh front bearings
fresh fluids in everything
rebuild CVs 7k miles ago.
new timing/water 4100 miles ago

Cat shields?

Sounds like cat shields to me also.
Slide under the truck with a rubber mallet (or send the wife down there) and start ringing bells until you find it.

My cat shields are all tied up with stainless wire for now and whenever the sound returns I just give the wires a twist... working for now.

Another vote for cat shields. Grab some gates adjustable hose clamps as a cheap way to remove them from the equation.

Well....let me go ahead and squash that one. Both cat shields have hose clamps on them already. Had to do this back at 195k miles.

I'll get under there and Titan them again this afternoon but when I bang the cats when my hand/mallet they are silent.

Last edited:
hmmm... loose hardware allowing a washer to 'jingle' makes a sound like you describe. Maybe the front diff mount or a body mount washer is the culprit?

Check your front/rear shock covers/hats. Had the same issue on my LC with the passenger side rear shock. The shock cover/hat was very loose.

Well....let me go ahead and squash that one. Both cat shields have hose clamps on them already. Had to do this back at 195k miles.

I'll get under there and Titan them again this afternoon but when I bang the cats when my hand/mallet they are silent.

:lol: information we could've used a few hours ago...

Wanted to post a follow up to this one. With the cold weather the sound has returned.

Jacked the front in the air, put it in drive and the sound wasn't there, got all 4 in the air, put it in drive and there was the sound.

Crawled underneath, sound was coming from the back of the transfer case. I could watch the rear main seal's dust shield rattle around the rotating output shaft and make the noise.

So there it is, if you have sliegh bells/thin metal rattle under your truck it's the transfer case output shaft dust shield that is loose.

You couldn't wait until AFTER the holiday season? Sheesh! Sleigh bells are both joyful AND triumphant. Nice job finding the jingle though....... and even nicer job opening a thread with a problem and closing a thread with a solution! Seems unheard of lately.(And then I come along and add uselessness:) )

Just for tech, I had a similar jingle that ended up being a rear sway bar mounting bracket where it bolts to the frame. Slightly bent and a little loose. Just in case someone finds it isn't what's described above.

I had this issue, but it was loose tailpipe hangar. Cut it off and sound gone.

had the same irritating problem for a year checked and replaced almost everything. new ironman suspension kit,borla catback,front and rear sway bar bushings.all rotors and oem brake pads. squeaks and bells still audible inside the cabin. this summer I checked my E-brakes and found out the springs were all loose and rusted and pads were all seize. I removed temporarily all the my E-brakes and well and behold. it is now quieter than my 2013 corolla. ordered new parts to put them back ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom