Help me please, bad oil leak while driving to airport (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm on my way to the airport cruising down the highway when I start to notice a burning oil smell. All my guages are reading OK but I pull off at the next exit to take a look and find this
oil leak 1.jpg
oil leak 2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but the first pic shows a hole where it looks like there used to be some sort of plug. The second pic shows the screwdriver pointing to the hole from further back to give some perspective. There wasl oil spray all over my exhaust manifold and engine bay. Fortunately my airline called 5 minutes after this all happened to let me know my flight was delayed and I was able to call someone to give me a ride but my cruiser is still sitting in a church parking lot right off of the highway exit. Oh yeah, it is a canadian spec 3B. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brian

Looks like the crankcase breather is missing

could you twist a threaded pipe plug in there?

if so, you could use a reducer or a nipple, and attach a bit of hose to it to run down past the hot stuff.

Looks like the crankcase breather is missing

That does not seem to be correct. The breather would come from the valve cover, IMO, at least on a 2H.
This seems to be lower, and on the block, not in the head. there could be a freeze plug there that came out. if so, don't drive the truck. yes, if it is a freeze plug you can thread the hole and put a plug in there.
cheers,
J

No plans to drive it until it is fixed, I will be out of town on business until Sunday but my father-in law lives near where it broke down so I'm hoping I can get some info to him as he has volunteered to help me out while I'm away if he can. The whole is definitely in the block, not the head. Thanks for the replies so far.

That does not seem to be correct. The breather would come from the valve cover, IMO, at least on a 2H.
This seems to be lower, and on the block, not in the head. there could be a freeze plug there that came out. if so, don't drive the truck. yes, if it is a freeze plug you can thread the hole and put a plug in there.
cheers,
J

Im pretty sure it is. I just went and snapped a pic of my 3B and the only thing I see on the side of the block is the crank breather.

Sorry I couldnt snap it from a distance, got too much stuff in the way of a clear pic!

Contact John over at Raddcruisers.ca for another one - he has helped me out in the past.

DSC07356.jpg

DSC07355.jpg
DSC07356.jpg
DSC07355.jpg

Yes, you are right. In my tired state of mind I mixed up crank case with crank case ventilation.
cheers,
Jan

That breather pipe needs the "support bracket" too.

If the bracket breaks (and they often do because they are made too thin/weak) and if you don't fix it straight away .... then the vibration in the pipe will cause it to fracture right there where that one has.

My guess is that this is what has happened here.

:cheers:

Yep, looks like the breather pipe came off - its usually stamped permanently to the lifter cover there.

If there is any of the pipe left just get some hose on there and run it out the bottom of the truck until you can get a new cover. The pipe doesn't do anything but route fumes onto the U-joint anyway - it just points out the bottom of the truck (open to atmosphere).

Parts are shipping tomorrow first thing. Missed the freight cut off today. (gasket, cover, support and some glow plugs)

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom