Help me pick batteries... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I've got a stock alternator on the 2F and a group 27 by ACDelco. I bought it from a friends shop at his cost to replace a Walmart battery, its 2 years old now and there are no great incentives to replace it with the same thing. Im getting it tested today. The battery has leaked from the caps, which isn't a huge surprise. Just very annoying and etched the stainless tray and hardware.

Its been hurting badly and will barely turn the truck over in the 20-30's we've had here in Texas the last few days. It almost wouldn't start in Big Bend. I bought a jumper pack that I thankfully didn't have to use.

I need a really good group 27 (open to other options). Im also adding a secondary battery for the winch and inverter use only. Probably a deep cycle of some sort.

Right now I'm heavily leaning towards an interstate Megatron for the main battery. I don't know if interstate has sold out to offshore, or if the quality has fallen off but I do know they have a store in most major towns.

30 Months Free /6 Year Performance Warranty
810 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)

$180ish from my local dealer.

They also have an AGM line, but I don't know how I feel about getting a battery that isn't an exact fit. I do like the leak free aspect. I run them in all the other cars, but from oreillys and auto zone.

I really want a dual odyssey set up, but they're not common. I can't find more than a few success stories but I find that doesn't mean they aren't good. I think that one Odyssey could support my occasional winch use and fix the weak starting. They're a hair under $300 around here.

Do I really need a deep cycle for the second battery? It's for the following 1. Self starting 2. Winching 3. Overnight power use while camping. It will be on a battery isolator.

What do you all do for batteries, and what are you using to control the dual system?

Running dual Odysseys through a National Luna setup and have been very happy with it and the batteries. Only thing I did differently from the NL DIY kit was using bigger wire and adding a switch to manually interrupt the ground between the batteries if I want to completely isolate them. My previous Odyssey lasted for 5+ years and was sold with the truck, for all I know its still going. Great batteries and all I use any more.

20180102_110156.jpg

One long hard winching session will put a lot of wear on the battery/s regardless of design. It'll also wear out your alternator real fast. I'm a firm believer of getting two identical easy-to-find (aka not exotic) group 27 wet cell "mid grade" batteries that won't break the bank and replace both of them together every few years. AGMs will crank over the starter like you've never experienced before/ Vroom! But so what. A fresh wet cell batt will always be able to start the engine. Long drives in the hot summer are an AGMs nemesis. Too hot. Voltage too high.

I have two yellow top batteries. They work great for all my accessories, winches lights subwoofer, inverters and of course starting in cold weather. The best part is they can be laid on their sides and won't leak.

20170930_103628.jpg

One long hard winching session will put a lot of wear on the battery/s regardless of design. It'll also wear out your alternator real fast. I'm a firm believer of getting two identical easy-to-find (aka not exotic) group 27 wet cell "mid grade" batteries that won't break the bank and replace both of them together every few years. AGMs will crank over the starter like you've never experienced before/ Vroom! But so what. A fresh wet cell batt will always be able to start the engine. Long drives in the hot summer are an AGMs nemesis. Too hot. Voltage too high.

I really feel that spooling the winch the first time put the nail in the coffin on this wet cell. I really would like to have two identical batteries for sake of interchangeability.

Im going to get this current battery checked out and see what interstate has to offer.

Definitely go with interstate if you dont want to search around for an Odyssey. You might try somewhere like Batteries+ (if you have those local to you) as they will occasionally carry them, really depends on the store. My OG Die Hard Platinum is still kicking from when I first got BeBe, but should it ever crap out on me it will be replaced with a Megatron or Kirkland group 34 (want the side posts just for extra accessory attachments.

I don’t even know. May have helped the test that the battery was warmer than outside temps. All the cells were good and about even.

It’s 33* outside and the truck was at temp when they tested it with the motor off.

Still feels weak to me. Makes the decision even harder.

F36DE9B8-DAD0-468C-91BC-4B5F8A912885.jpeg

Last edited:
742 real CCA as they tested is plenty to start the 2F in sub zero temps.
Maybe clean up the battery terminals and cable clamps. The primary big fat negative cable that leads under the AC compressor grounds the starter with the motor mount nut on to the engine bracket. If that had poor corroded contact, increasing resistance, you definitely wouldn't get those 742 CCA going to the starter.

As an experiment, you could run a big fat (as in 4 AWG or 2 AWG) wire directly from the battery negative post to a bolt nearby the starter to ensure a good ground. Also check that the starter positive terminal has clean contact with the fat positive wire.

FWIW, I run the Interstate MTP-27F in both the 40s and will put one in the 60 when the Die Hard (Odyssey) ever fails to fire.

Great batteries.

I've actually got one of @Fourrunner 's kits. I've got the big starting and ground cables throughout. The PO did that right. I've got the MIL SPEC clamps.

The only other thing that I can think of in cold temps is that I've gone to 20w50 VR1 with Lucas oil stabilizer to stop the smoking. No more smoke, but it would certainly make it struggle to start when its chilly. I wish I had a block heater to test that theory, but its not cold here that much and I'll have a second battery to self start soon.

Reactions: OSS
C43CE3BE-DD97-4329-A4EC-24FB646656E1.jpeg
X2 on Keeps setup. There is a lot to be said about a dedicated start battery and all aux loads on an aux battery. Then hook the two together while winching. Use larger than normal cables from the alternator to the batteries. AGM batteries rock. I put my second battery (two 6vs in series) in my drivers side rear quarter panel

Am i the only one that's going to recommend a group 31? Best value period.
Care to elaborate? Those are almost identical size wise to the group 27 batteries.

Care to elaborate? Those are almost identical size wise to the group 27 batteries.

I guess i never compared them physically side by side, but 31 always dropped into my cruiser no problem. Just have to convert your terminals over to REAL connections, threaded posts.

Group 31 is literally THE MOST COMMON BATTERY out there. Because of that it's the best value, you know, supply and demand. I'm sure i could find a better example, but looking @ advance auto, for 4 dollars more you get 240 more CCAs!!

Group 31 also eliminates the troublesome top post that I've grown to despise.

You get MORE battery for your money. Every time. My local truck dealer runs specials on Exide 31s every year@$79 new. That is a sweet deal.

I'm sure not relying on a single 27 to start my diesel in this 20 below weather!

Screenshot_20180102-225443.jpg

Screenshot_20180102-225601.jpg

One long hard winching session will put a lot of wear on the battery/s regardless of design. It'll also wear out your alternator real fast.
The key I've found to not over taxing my stock Alternator, and group 27 F battery is not to get into a hurry, and limit how long each winch pull lasts. I use the factory hand throttle, setting the RPM's around 2500, then limit each pull to no longer then 45 seconds to a minute at a time. Then I'll let the winch, and charging system cool off for 10 minutes. All the while I'm still running the engine at around 2500 RPM for those 10 minutes. After the winch has cooled off for 10 minutes, I'll make my next short pull if necessary. Remember, the longer you run the winch, the hotter the winch motor and cables get. With heat comes resistance, the more resistances, the more the amp draw on the battery and alternator to over come that resistance. So allowing those items cool off between pulls helps. One other item I've found that helps alot when I'm winching, is the use of snatch blocks. YMMV

Last edited:
I guess i never compared them physically side by side, but 31 always dropped into my cruiser no problem. Just have to convert your terminals over to REAL connections, threaded posts.

Group 31 is literally THE MOST COMMON BATTERY out there. Because of that it's the best value, you know, supply and demand. I'm sure i could find a better example, but looking @ advance auto, for 4 dollars more you get 240 more CCAs!!

Group 31 also eliminates the troublesome top post that I've grown to despise.

You get MORE battery for your money. Every time. My local truck dealer runs specials on Exide 31s every year@$79 new. That is a sweet deal.

I'm sure not relying on a single 27 to start my diesel in this 20 below weather!

View attachment 1602924

View attachment 1602927
Thanks! I had no idea that 31 is the most common size. Good to know when looking to change batteries . :)

Battery Information

Some helpful info about batteries.
Great information there. Knew some of the stuff but other stuff was new information to me. Sucks that DieHard Platinum (Sears) has gone the way of the Dodo. Mine is still kicking almost 5yrs later, getting towards the end of the "normal" life of a battery however I do not really tax my battery. Hell, when we go camping I dont run my radio for more than an hour or so before I turn the engine on and let the alternator to a bit of circulating and charging.

Ended up with an optima 34/78. Not disappointed, yet.

It did get beat up trying to unstick a burried Land Rover with the winch. No issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom