Help me pick a skid plate color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First - no color isn't an option for me. I have a local business I try to support who does good work and I try to support him when I can. I have my set of all aluminum skids coming today from BB which is making the color selection a reality. My truck is onyx blue, with bronze evo course wheels, and most of the chrome deleted.

Everything is kind of dark, and I was leaning towards a black or grey. But then I got to thinking of having a bit of fun, but wasn't sure what color/texture would be different. I don't care about touch-ups as scars would be expected. I thought about bronze to match the wheels, but I am on the fence about swapping out the wheels.

I'm looking to the group for a bit of inspiration :)

A pic of the truck would be helpful.

International Harvester Red is a fine color for skids.

IMG_3770.JPG

Easy, satin/low gloss black. I’m partial to BK08 Cardinal brand powder coating.

Since you want to make a statement, bronze would look good. Unless the new rims you plan on running won't match with bronze.

If you really want to stand out do a patina and clear coat. You can make them look like old copper, fresh bronze old bronze, rusted, blue, green, rainbow distressed the options are endless. It is very simple to do, a lot of fun and cost effective. There are thousands of colours and looks you could do so I won't get into that. Just google Alum patina. You can get the colour but it still looks like metal and not paint or powder coat.

The company above is great and the customer service is above and beyond. If you haven't ever done a patina on metal they have an almost fail safe method from prep to finish that is very easy to follow. Call them and tell them what you want to do.

Ha! I’m fancy! And the salt will make it look funky if it’s not coated
The irony is while a patina sounds fancy and over the top in a lot of cases it actually protects the metal. It is a chemical reaction on the surface that changes the metal ever so slightly. It corrodes to a point and then stops. When it stops it will not go any deeper into the substrate. A proper seal coat, clear powder coat is an insane level of protection, binds it all together. This system is used all the time for bridges, cargo ships, rail cars ect. but you never see it because it is painted over. You will see it in architecture all the time. Mainly the facades of buildings. They want it to look like aged copper but structurally they need to use steel. Steel will rust. So they fabricate with steel, formulate a patina to make the steel look like copper and prevent the steel from corrosion. Two birds one stone.

Low gloss black. Then you can rattle can the scratches up.

If you want color, then BudBuilt red.

4E72B88B-F876-40B8-AEDB-3B5D6FB42DCF.jpeg

48150428-0B8D-4379-B3D9-317E27382125.jpeg

Hammer tone blue. Just got this one back from the coater, and I think we’re gonna also start making the red, in hammer tone red. Had to wrap the blue up in foam, everyone wanted to try and touch it.

It’s funny you mention the hammer tone. My powder coater suggested this black frost vein look from prismatic

B5EC4F37-99BB-4731-B038-5F95CA9591B7.jpg

The only part of my Budbuilt skids that is visible is the front most panel. The bare aluminum as good a surface as any.

This comment from the Budbuilt site puts it nicely: "Another common configuration is full aluminum skids, but for those who don't want the shinny silver look, but don't want to spend the money on full powder, you can powder coat just the Front skid plate, as that is the only one that is really noticeable."

You aren't going to see color on any other skid unless you are on the ground staring up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom