Help Me on a 1997 LX450!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
ok, first, I am an addict. i bought my first cruiser ,a 1993 white unlocked, back in August with 84,000 miles, leather, perfect condition, one owner, etc. for $9600. I love it, my wife loves it, she drives it more than me, i want it back. I found a 1997 LX450 with 78K miles, fully loaded, and yes LOCKED!! 1 California owner. They are very proud of it with the price tag, they have had it on their lot for about 6 months (lucky me!!) I know they will be motivated to sell. Carfax checks out perfect. My problem is, I was so lucky on my first buy that I can't find a deal anywhere near it. What should I offer in cash for this Lexus (what is a fair price for both me and the dealer). I plan on this mine for the long haul if we do purchase. Any insight is much appreciated. Scott

UPDATE!! I picked her up today and I am borderline giddy. She will be the truck that I build up over the next few years. I plan on keeping her until she dies. 1st I need to fix the antenna motor, then I will start looking for an ARB Deluxe. Enjoy
lx450 combo 1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Scott I'm in Cali and I paid $15K out the door for my 97LX450 Locked w/85k miles on it. I hope that may help some. See ya Danny

Nexus, How long ago was that?

We paid $19k for my wife's LX 450 about 2 years ago. It had about 68k miles on it.

Today, I'd say the rig you're looking at -- assuming it's in CA where prices are a bit higher than other places -- $14 to $16k would be a fair price.

It's easy for me to say this because it's not my money, but don't sweat a few extra hundred or a grand -- in the long run, it won't matter much. If you pass on this one, you might end up beating yourself up later if you have trouble finding something similar.

What are they asking for the rig? It could be that they're grossly overestimating the value of the rig.

Check edmunds.com, kbb.com and nada.com. That should give you an idea of the aproximate values.

I paid $12,700 for my Texas Lexus in July...with 97k miles on the odo. No lockers, though.

(And yeah, you got quite the deal on that first one...lucky bastage :flipoff2: )

:grinpimp:

What are they asking for the rig? It could be that they're grossly overestimating the value of the rig.

They wanted $18,900 for a while, they dropped it to $15,900, but I am looking for something around $15,000 out the door (I really want this one but and not sure if they will come down that much!! I am sure gonna try though.

smittycrusher said:

They wanted $18,900 for a while, they dropped it to $15,900, but I am looking for something around $15,000 out the door (I really want this one but and not sure if they will come down that much!! I am sure gonna try though.

My wife's came down from $26k to $19k :)

I'm not sure how much more wiggle room you have. It depends on how long they want it sitting on their lot AND whether or not someone else thinks that $15,900 is a fair price.

$15k OTD means that they'll be selling for a tad less than $14k.

I'd bet that they'd go for $15,900 OTD.

IMO, you need to ask yourself how mad you'll be if you lose the deal over a $1k difference. If you won't be pissed off if you don't get it, negotiate hard. If you will be pissed off...well...then you need to rethink the amount you want to spend.

Either way...Good luck. :)

If this is any indication, if you pass on $15900 send info over to me and I will purchase it otd for that price.

NorCalDoug said:
IMO, you need to ask yourself how mad you'll be if you lose the deal over a $1k difference. If you won't be pissed off if you don't get it, negotiate hard. If you will be pissed off...well...then you need to rethink the amount you want to spend.

/QUOTE]

This is good advice. Don't do anything you'll regret later on. Don't let emotions swing you too far to either extreme.

Go in and offer $14.5K he either will budge or he won't. If he won't you have lost nothing and can then follow Doug's advice.

UPDATE!! I haggled and haggled as you guys suggested! I have been working on this guy for a month now. They asking price was originally $18,900, then $15,995 and I will be picking it up on Tues. for $15995 OTD. So essentially factoring in my 8.25% tax I am getting the truck for around $14,500 plus all the fees & tax. I will post pics after I pick it up. This is going to be my truck to build up after a my wife drives it for a few years. It does need a few minor repairs right now (antenna motor, shifter lights are out, BUT THE D light works on the dash:D , remove running boards.) I look forward to wheeling with you guys sometiime in the near future. I am very new to this and can't wait to get out on some trails in SoCal/Zona area. Thanks for all of the help. I just could not let this go, I would have kicked my self forever. The lockers work perfect, low mileage, well maintained, etc.

I just put 285 Wrangler Silent Armor's on my unlocked 80. WHAT a difference in feel over the stock LTX's. Next up is an ARB Deluxe Bull. I will not be lifting the unlocked one now that I have the locked lx450 to lift:)

Thanks again, Scott

Congrats. Why not let the wife keep the 80, and make the lexus the family vehicle.

You need to put armor on it to protect your family. Show her this thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50707

And this is what can happen if you don't install sliders (Not mine)
whysliders2.jpg

ditto on the congrats!

Good job on the negotiations. Not a bad deal, IMO.

Be sure to post pics so the where's-the-pic monkies don't jump on your back. :)

Hmmmm that buggered 80 looks familiar . . .

Update

BUMP for update w/ pic.

chromed wheels? I suggest that you keep them pretty for a while. Mine where chromed too...now they chrome + lots of rock rash.
Just a suggestion -- and the caps...mine had a tendency to remove themselves on the highway.

(let me know if you want buy some spares ;))

The rig looks great. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom