Help me identify what I have here. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've been trying to verify whether this newly imported 1995 KZJ78 is lifted or not, and what kind of setup is this..

Judging by this measurement, I have 4" distance between the top of the front axle housing and the bump stop.

PXL_20220508_132014260.jpg

And here is a measurement from level floor to the middle cross member (that holds the transmission). I have 14". Now this rig is sitting on a set of 15" rims wrapped in 265 70 R15 (an almost 30" tall tire).

PXL_20220508_131831222.jpg

PXL_20220508_132049311.jpg

The stance resembles a lifted truck, but I'm not sure. The shocks have an electric connector on them (sounds like stock shocks) but the coil springs have traces of pick color under the Japanese undercoating.
PXL_20220515_232924304.jpg

Please help me identify what I have. Some measurements on a lifted or stock truck would be very helpful!

Cheers!

I have a 1994 KZJ78G with 24,xxx kilometer. 16 inches rims with 235/85/R16 tires.

2 inches from front axle housing to bump stop.

13 inches from floor level to crossmember bar.

I hope this helps!

06.jpg

08.jpg
07.jpg

Thanks @oemhardtop ! This is definitely helpful. Also, nice rig! 👍👍

So, judging by your measurements, my truck is lifted. I guess that explains the white knuckles on the highway lol, as I don't see any signs of caster correction measures on my rig.

Wonder if I'm running OEM shocks though? As I am confident that the electric response switch is functional and does effect the shocks response.

Interesting... Any opinions?

No problem. I think you have OEM adjustable shocks with aftermarket springs. If you look at the picture below of the OEM adjustable shock and the top hat shock is very identical as your.

6106637-2.jpg

The OEM adjustable shock part number is 48511-69425.

Awesome!

I believe that you are correct sir. My shocks look just like the one in the picture. Didn't know you can run taller coils with these...

So, I am a fan of my OEM shocks but I think I they're tired. I don't think I can stomach paying $300+ per shock for OEM. Are there any electronically controlled shock absorbers that fit our rigs and not cost an arm and a leg?

Cheers!

You have about a 2” lift with original shocks. I’m not surprised your shocks are tired, my first LJ78 blew its shocks at around 160k km, my current one had worn out rears at 107k. They are kind of cool but aren’t known for lasting very long. I would recommend getting some quality aftermarket gas shocks like the Old Man Emu Nitrochargers.

That makes sense as I can tell that the shocks are done, especially when I set them to 'heavy'. Now TBH I am no longer a fan of OME suspension, after two consecutive premature failures (individual shock absorbers) on the conservatively built and wheeled FZJ80 I had.
Dobinsons sounds like a better option but: What are your thoughts on the idea of running stock hight shocks with taller coils in the first place? I feel like a more compatible combo is better but that's just my gut feeling.
Anyone else running stock hight shocks and taller coils??

Seems like they would limit your articulation. What's your plan with the truck? That would best determine what route to go. Ditching the oem shocks seems inevitable. Lift optional.

The intended use for the truck is in two phases: 1. Current phase: kid hauler/semi daily driver
2. When kids are older: dedicated overlander

I do like the current stance of the truck and would love to maintain the overall height (no higher nor lower) and I think you are correct about the inevitablility of ditching the OEM absorbers.

What do you recommend as a kit?

The intended use for the truck is in two phases: 1. Current phase: kid hauler/semi daily driver
2. When kids are older: dedicated overlander

I do like the current stance of the truck and would love to maintain the overall height (no higher nor lower) and I think you are correct about the inevitablility of ditching the OEM absorbers.

What do you recommend as a kit?
I went with ironman constant load springs and foam cell shocks, mostly because of price and availability and I've had good experiences with ironman in the past. Got a good 4"-5" inches of lift over my worn out stock setup. My electronic adjustable shocks didn't seem to have any noticeable functionality left and the springs were shot with only 1" at the most clearance on bump stops. It was pretty bad driving around so I pulled it all off and tossed it. After the lift, I think it sits about how yours is now, maybe just a hair taller. Very happy with the lift and foam cell shock absorbers. It does mess with your geometry though making on road high speed handling a little unsettling but honestly not unbearable. There are some control arm drops and pitman arm extensions available and a few things you can do that should alleviate some of those issues for more confidence on the highway, I plan to try those because I definitely want the clearance and I have gone with bigger mud tires for now. Dobinson's also I think has 2 lift options for the KZJ78, 1 closer to stock maybe 1" lift and the other more like the iron man 2-3" lift. Where you already have the springs, cheapest thing might be to just get some new shock absorbers but I wonder a little if you wouldn't be happier with the dobinsons smaller lift for daily driver duty. Save your springs or get a bigger lift when you are ready for the offroad/overlander phase? Looks like a nice truck.

Also, since I need to maintain the current height of the vehicle (it's only 3 inches from the top of the garage door, and that's with the little tires), I would really appreciate a measurement from a 2~2.5 in lifted truck to have an idea on what lift kit should I go with when I replace the current shocks/coils.

A picture worth a thousand words lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom