Help me identify these weird radius arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders...can anyone help me identify what kind of radius arms I have on my rig? I bought them used a few years ago as part of a package deal, and was told at the time they were Slee arms. I was a bit skeptical because I've never seen any arms from Slee or anyone else that look like these, but I installed them anyways because they seemed to help with caster alignment. Maybe they're just a really old discontinued version?? I've scoured the internet and haven't been able to find anything even remotely similar.

They are adjustable with some very large diameter threads where I've circled in the pic to make them longer or shorter, similar to adjustable panhard bars, rear control arms, etc. They also have a grease zerk on the side to pump grease into the threaded joint. And while they've worked alright for me for a few years now, I've started to develop a front end clunk on both sides when hitting bumps in the road or starting from a stop. I'm suspecting that the threaded joint is wearing and has some slop in it that's causing the clunk. When I push up on the joint with my floor jack and a block of wood, I can definitely see it flexing. Looking into replacing them with some Delta arms or something similar, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has seen arms like these before. Thanks in advance.

20230407_183600 (2).jpg

20230407_183644.jpg

Hey mudders...can anyone help me identify what kind of radius arms I have on my rig? I bought them used a few years ago as part of a package deal, and was told at the time they were Slee arms. I was a bit skeptical because I've never seen any arms from Slee or anyone else that look like these, but I installed them anyways because they seemed to help with caster alignment. Maybe they're just a really old discontinued version?? I've scoured the internet and haven't been able to find anything even remotely similar.

They are adjustable with some very large diameter threads where I've circled in the pic to make them longer or shorter, similar to adjustable panhard bars, rear control arms, etc. They also have a grease zerk on the side to pump grease into the threaded joint. And while they've worked alright for me for a few years now, I've started to develop a front end clunk on both sides when hitting bumps in the road or starting from a stop. I'm suspecting that the threaded joint is wearing and has some slop in it that's causing the clunk. When I push up on the joint with my floor jack and a block of wood, I can definitely see it flexing. Looking into replacing them with some Delta arms or something similar, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has seen arms like these before. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 3293317

View attachment 3293318

Your front drive shaft is in backwards

Is that a grease zirk in the middle of the arm? Odd place to put one. Those things look homebuilt.
It is. I thought it was strange too. However when I pump it full of grease til it starts seeping out of the joint, that does seem to help with the clunking noise for a couple of days. Maybe that was a stopgap measure done to help fix what might be a questionable homebrew setup.

Your front drive shaft is in backwards
Yeah I know. Doesn't seem to harm anything though. I did that to keep the slip joint up by the Tcase hoping that it would help keep contaminants out during mud season up here in Michigan. It's not rubbing the sway bar or causing any weird vibrations. FWIW my rear driveshaft has had the slip joint up by the Tcase since I bought the truck...not sure if that's the "correct" way or if that's also backwards. 🤷‍♂️

Have any pics of the frame side bushing/joint out of the mount?? Almost looks to me like someone made those and used a section of an upper link for a 3 point tractor hitch. They would work almost like a wristed arm, but would just be getting longer and shorter thru the suspension cycle. I find it hard to believe that someone would be able to manufacture something like that for liability issues. It would end up eventually tearing the threads out of it w/no jam nut to lock it down tight.

Have any pics of the frame side bushing/joint out of the mount?? Almost looks to me like someone made those and used a section of an upper link for a 3 point tractor hitch. They would work almost like a wristed arm, but would just be getting longer and shorter thru the suspension cycle. I find it hard to believe that someone would be able to manufacture something like that for liability issues. It would end up eventually tearing the threads out of it w/no jam nut to lock it down tight.
Not unless I go and pull the arm out, which I'll probably do at some point if/when I get some different arms. But that was my thought too. Seems sketchy...like that's a lot of load to be bearing on just some threads, especially if you're out bouncing around on some trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom