Help me ID this electrical part please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
another mystery part from the PO. Non OEM!

I know the PO had issues with the headlights. I’ve already found one jumper wire from the left headlight to the steering column harness.

The device in the photo is between the headlight switch power wire (red) and the fuse box white power wire.
It is a small device glued to a piece of aluminum for mounting.

Is it a relay or resistor? Any help will be appreciated.

devo

107612E5-45F0-499C-88FC-0EDFAACD1495.jpeg

473C7050-F9CB-42C5-AB3D-9E1C0E685ACB.jpeg

3F54DC90-6009-4540-B89C-CD9369056CF6.jpeg

And this circuit breaker was used because the 15amp fuse was blowing? Or the PO had nipped the red wire too close to the fuse box it could not be reattached?

Any thoughts on why it was used?

devo

And this circuit breaker was used because the 15amp fuse was blowing? Or the PO had nipped the red wire too close to the fuse box it could not be reattached?

Any thoughts on why it was use?
All pure speculation, at this point. Only way to know for certain would be to ask the PO that installed it.

FYI
When the glass fuse for your headlights blows at night, on a blind curve, going down a steep grade, you are screwed...:eek:

You can replace the headlight fuse in any fuse panel using standard 1 1/4" glass fuses with a Type I circuit breaker designed to replace the glass fuse. A Type I circuit breaker will kick off during an overload, then turn right back on when the current drops below a certain point. This is GREAT for the headlight circuit as your lights will flash on and off instead of just going out giving you time to pull over to figure out the issue.

If you look into this, make damn sure that the replacement breaker is a Type I. Most of these glass fuse replacement circuit breakers being sold are Type II. The ones sold at Waytek Wire are Type II! You must remove power completely from a Type II circuit breaker before it resets which defeats the purpose!

Another note: The fuse block cover may not fit if you install one of these circuit breakers.

These also make great trouble shooting devices. If you have a fuse that is constantly blowing, you can replace it with one of these while you try to figure out where the short is without melting your wires or fuse panel. My test bench fuse panels all have the fuses replaced with these to prevent me from melting a customers harness that may have internal surprises or non-OEM mods.

Contact me if you would like to order one of these. I don't stock them, but can get them quickly.
They come in 10,15 and 20 amp versions. FYI the headlight circuit is 20 amps.

72425_primary_225px.jpg

Coolerman,
Thanks for your response. You can see the 20 amp breaker in the above photo. Not sure how to tell if it’s type I or II?
I guess I’ll find out after it blows to see if it resets itself or not.

Thanks,

devo

FYI
When the glass fuse for your headlights blows at night, on a blind curve, going down a steep grade, you are screwed...:eek:

Or your doing 75 on a 3 lane hwy passing a semi in the fast lane with traffic late night and all your lights go out. People cant see your brakes behind you and you have just vanished in the semi's mirror. I narrowly escaped as I could see the semi and get around him but could not see the side of the road. 5 seconds of pure hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom