Help me I.D. this hardtop please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I plan on reassembling this hardtop and installing it on my '73 FJ40. I just want to confirm the year before I start ordering weather stripping for it.

Which leads me to my second question. Can anyone recommend so decent value priced weatherstripping for this top. I'd like to get it all. Roof to sides, sides to body, and roof to windshield. OEM is big bucks :eek:, and this rig is no beauty, so I'd just like to use something that doesn't cost an arm/leg, and works. I can reuse the top to sides gasket if need be though.

Thanks a lot guys! B.

edit: Going to need the hardtop to rear hatch, and doors weatherstripping too...

fj40 roof1.jpg

fj40 roof2.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys.
Thinking about this and seeing the prices of the rubber I think I'm going to plan "B". I'll just replace the door and hatch rubber and just make due with the old stuff. I don't need to spend 700 bucks on an rough roof.
So thank for the help, and if anyone can point me at good, cheap, 1970 door weatherstripping I'd appreciate it!
Brian.

Thanks a lot guys.
Thinking about this and seeing the prices of the rubber I think I'm going to plan "B". I'll just replace the door and hatch rubber and just make due with the old stuff. I don't need to spend 700 bucks on an rough roof.
So thank for the help, and if anyone can point me at good, cheap, 1970 door weatherstripping I'd appreciate it!
Brian.

Take a look here Self Sealing Weatherstrips, Self-Locking and 2 Piece Weatherstripping for Boats and Equipment

Certainly a cheap option as they sell it by the foot. Appears to be good stuff, not sure how it would work in doors.

That is a 65-71 hardtop because it has the recessed corner windows.

Believe I've seen that the last couple of years were different and harder to find. Believe some time in 69 until the change with the 72 model. While I've never tried it believe if you change the glass you can use the later weather stripping. Thing later glass is easier to find used. I haven't checked in a while but think SOR's site shows the date changes.

Take a look here Self Sealing Weatherstrips, Self-Locking and 2 Piece Weatherstripping for Boats and Equipment
Certainly a cheap option as they sell it by the foot. Appears to be good stuff, not sure how it would work in doors.

Great resource, thank you very much!

Glass& WS both change PN once at 7/71.

Good to know, thanks.

You're not going to save much money buying aftermarket weatherstripping.

Looks like that's often true. Looks like CityRacerLLC has a decent repop roof gasket for about 200 bucks less though, so with some careful shopping I'll be able to combine OEM and repop and save a few bucks. It is pretty much a trail rig after all. :steer:

Thanks for the info and links guys, much appreciated!
B.

Glass& WS both change PN once at 7/71.

SOR's site shows 65-3/69 then 3/69-7/71 (72 model). I agree I'm not sure what the difference is but I also know Toyota dropped any pre 3/69 from the parts system many years ago. Because of this I can't be 100% sure they are the same since Toyota doesn't list any of thoses early parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom